Jon Danniken

Default PHOTOS of my Franceformer and the sparks

"Ignoramus27736" wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
, Ignoramus27736 wrote:

Made a 1/4" spark gap... I see sparks... Very exciting...

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/High.../Franceformer/

That's a neon xfmr. Three of those in series should make a dandy
Jacob's ladder!

Sounds interesting. I have 13 of them today. Maybe I will get more
tomorrow. I forgot to pay for all the stuff I got today (and the owner
forgot to ask me for money) and need to go there tomorrow to pay
anyway.

Sorry, I digress.

I am confused by different statements made by different posters. Some
say that they cannot be set in sequence because they are center tapped
to ground. I am not so sure, since they can be mounted in
isolation. Who to believe?

Yes, they can theoretically be connected in series if you float the cores,
but then you run into the problem that the cases are connected to the cores,
the on/off switch is screwed into the case, the primary cable runs through
the case, or (as William Noble pointed out), the primary/core insulation
isn't rated for 4.5kV.

In other words, it's not practical given the structure and the voltages
involved. Put one volt into the primary and it would work, but without
significant reworking of the transformer itself (depotting/immersing in
oil/reworking leads/insulating the primary), it isn't practical at 120VAC.

Jon