Edwin Pawlowski

Default Electric vs. Gas home heating

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Here in the Pacific Northwest, electricity is fairly cheap (about 7.5
cents per KW), and electric heat is quite common.

However, even if electric cost more than gas, I would personally still
opt for electric. It's mostly future proof, since electricity can be
produced by hydroelectric dams, wind generators, solar power, nuclear
plants, and even coal and natural gas generators. Gas prices may continue
to soar, and who knows what future availability will be. Poor efficiency
furnaces will need to be updated with newer technology. Electric is
always 100% efficient, even with old heaters.

You make good point but if you lived in New England you may change your
mind. Our winters are more severe and out electric rates are more than
double yours.

Electricity is not truly 100% efficient. Those power plants making it with
fossil fuels are much less than that. You do pay for their waste. I'd like
to see more hydro power though.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/