Greg O

Default Electric vs. Gas home heating

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Dominic" wrote in message
news:xQh5f.43153$ir4.36695@edtnps90...
Anyone considering a conversion to electric heat now that gas is so
expensive. According to my utility, electric heat is now cheaper than

gas
when using a 65% AFUE furnace. Our gas is $1.3/therm vs 6 cents/kwh for
electric.

Put in a 95% furnace and gas will be cheaper again!

At $.06/kwh you are paying $17.76 per million BTU for resistance electric
heat.

Yes, but a heat pump might cut than number in half except on the very cold
days.

We moved from a medium sized townhouse (1200 sq ft plus semi-finished
basement) to a good sized ranch home on full basement (3000+ sq ft of
living
space). The townhome had gas heat and air conditioning; the ranch house
is
all electric. The electric bill for the ranch house was about the same
as
the combined electric/gas for the townhouse. And that was back in 1998.

We rent out the townhouse. The vent for the gas furnace and the gas
water
heater is metal. IF ANYTHING ever goes wrong with that vent, we will
convert the place over to ALL ELECTRIC. The vent space could be use to
run
electric and communication wiring for upgrades to the upper floors.

You MUST have electric service anyway so the metering charge is already
built in. If you can get rid of the gas service (with all electric) you
might be ahead.

Nothing wrong with a heat pump if the rates are good, and the climate is
mild. in my area we see a few, in fact my dad has one in his home. Heat
pumps stop producing effective heat at 10-20 degrees. If you see allot of
time below that number gas may be a better choice, certainly at the prices
the OP stated.

As far as the metal venting for you heat and water heater you could easily
go with an electric water heater and a high efficiency furnace and do away
with the old metal chimney.
Again, you temperatures and energy prices will help make the decision.
Greg