Roger Shoaf

Default Transparent Aluminum?

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
In article qwx5f.11743$MN6.3431@fed1read04, BillP
You're apparently fortunate in that your exposure to extreem abrasives
is one where you apparently don't have the stuff slung in your face on a
constant basis. I constantly have muddy and sandy slurry in my face and
cannot stop to rinse it off, so it often dries on. (I often CANNOT let
go of what I'm doing)
Dried on mud and fine sandy deposits do NOT just rinse off, so the
scratches, as careful as I am in cleaning my polycarbonate glasses, the
scratches still aren't avoidable.
...And where I get my glasses, they charge almost DOUBLE for glass

lenses.
Bill

ONLY double???

The place I went for mine wanted nearly triple the price of
polycarbonate, then an extra $70 on top of it for a "scratch-guard"
coating, *PLUS* an extra week and $40 for what they called a "drop test"
(involving some sort of "calibrated" ball bearing being dropped on each
lens from some specific height after it was completed, which they
claimed was FDA-mandated for all glass lenses) that had no guarantees of
not smashing the lenses and having to start over from sratch.

They got told to keep the glass, much as I hate the damn scratch-happy
plastic lenses.

Several points here. If an optician is charging double or triple for glass
lenses you should find another optician. The glass does not cost them much
more than the plastic if anything.

Also never opt for scratch resistant coating on glass lenses. It is a waste
of money.

Myself I do not buy plastic lenses anymore. I killed one set in two weeks
and the second set in two days. If I have to wait for glass I will. The
last place I went to get glasses (Wal-Mart) wanted to charge me extra for
glass I was about ready to go somewhere else when I had the foresight to ask
about the safety glasses. In their pricing structure, they actually charged
less for the thicker safety lens and less for the much more durable safety
frames than they did for the regular kind. When I enquired why, I was met
with a very confused look.

I had a friend that was an optician and a lot of the things they do are for
the convenience of the optician. As an example the edger they use to trim
the lens down to fit the chosen frame is the same for glass as it is for
plastic, but if the place only has one machine then they have to farm out
the glass lens work to an outside lab. (It is still pretty cheap to do
this.) Also with glass lenses they don't get the opportunity to sell you
anti-glare and progressive tints or scratch coating.

One thing I always do is I always get silicone nose pads and spring hinges.
I have a fairly large pair of glasses with the thicker safety glass lenses
and when these are properly adjusted they don't give me any red marks on my
nose or slip off my face, even in the hot sun when I am sweating like a pig.
The real light weight frames are for me, a stinking joke. They constantly
go out of adjustment because they lack the structural integrity needed to
stand up to a little abuse.
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.