PipeDown

Default swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug

"Charles Krug" wrote in message
On 19 Oct 2005 04:48:55 -0700, pstock wrote:
I want to move a clothes dryer to the room that once had a oven/stove.
I notice that while both units use 240V the plugs are different - one
cannot just plug the dryer into the socket once used by the oven.

Nope. You can't, usually.

first, can anyone tell me why the sockets and plugs are different if
both applicances use 240V. and second, can I simply replace the oven
power socket with a new dryer-shaped one and carry on - or is there
something else that needs changing (like the breaker??) as well.

I think I read somewhere that ovens and dryers have require difference
amperage.

Yip.

A range that's plug-and-cord connected will usually (in the US) have
wiring that allows for 50A and a 50A recepticle. Our range specifically
recommends protection with 40A slo-blo, so that's what I installed when
we bought the range.

A dryer has 30A wiring and almost always a 30A fuse or breaker.

Assuming you can find a recepticle and breaker that fits your panel and
has sufficiently large clamps for the existing wire run, you need only
switch the recepticle and breaker. The dryer will Love the larger wire.

While it should be possible to buy a cordset for a range and attach it to
the dryer, the problem is that your 30A dryer is now connected to a 50A
fused branch circuit. Significantly more damage can occur to your dryer if
a situation requiring the breaker to trip occurs. You will increase the
possibility for fire or electrocution somewhat.

A proper solution would be to leave the 30A cordset on the dryer and replace
both the receptacle and circuit breaker at the panel with a 30A parts.
Depending on the breaker panel, this might not be very difficult as the
breakers should be the same size and pop one out and pop the other in. An
experienced DIYer can get through it in an hour with $50-$60 in parts. The
old 50A wire is plenty sufficient for 30A service and need not be replaced.