Duane Bozarth

Default How can I start a 220V well pump in a blackout if I don't have a220V generator?

John Gilmer wrote:

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I've been reading about Low Switching Frequency inverters that can
handle large start-up loads, but looking for them online is a bit of a
nightmare.

It might be possible to combine an off the shelf converter with an off the
shelf Variable Frequency Drive (VFD).

The VFD has a "front end" something like the front end of a PC (computer)
power supply. It just converts the incoming AC to DC. The rest of the
electronics converts the DC back to AC (and in the PC, back to DC again.
Believe me, it really makes sense to do it that way.)

I run my sump pump on a 1000W inverter and it runs fine on and off all
night. Not sure how many HP it is I will look tonight.

You must have a very small pump.

My pump is on a 20 amp circuit and draws 11 amps.

And OP said his was on a 40A (!) circuit and didn't know how much it
draws...