HerHusband

Default Electric vs. Gas home heating

Anyone considering a conversion to electric heat now that gas is so
expensive. According to my utility, electric heat is now cheaper than
gas when using a 65% AFUE furnace. Our gas is $1.3/therm vs 6
cents/kwh for electric.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, electricity is fairly cheap (about 7.5
cents per KW), and electric heat is quite common.

However, even if electric cost more than gas, I would personally still
opt for electric. It's mostly future proof, since electricity can be
produced by hydroelectric dams, wind generators, solar power, nuclear
plants, and even coal and natural gas generators. Gas prices may continue
to soar, and who knows what future availability will be. Poor efficiency
furnaces will need to be updated with newer technology. Electric is
always 100% efficient, even with old heaters.

From a practical standpoint, I don't have to worry about gas leaks,
carbon monoxide poisoning, etc. And since gas lines aren't available in
my rural area, I don't need a big gas tank in my yard.

We heat our home with individual electric wall heaters. This lets us heat
only the rooms we occupy, and set the bedrooms at lower temps than the
rest of the house. No ductwork to collect dirt and blow dust all over the
house, and no filters to maintain. And if I add a room or want additional
heat, I can easily add another electric heater.

Just my opinion...

Anthony