Greg O

Default Electric vs. Gas home heating

"Dominic" wrote in message
news:xQh5f.43153$ir4.36695@edtnps90...
Anyone considering a conversion to electric heat now that gas is so
expensive. According to my utility, electric heat is now cheaper than gas
when using a 65% AFUE furnace. Our gas is $1.3/therm vs 6 cents/kwh for
electric.

Put in a 95% furnace and gas will be cheaper again!

At $.06/kwh you are paying $17.76 per million BTU for resistance electric
heat.

At $1.3/therm, 65% furnace you are paying $20 per million BTU

Or with a 94% furnace you are paying $13.83 per million BTU.

Don't forget all taxes and city charges! Our utility advertises $.06 per
kwh, but after taxes and other misc charges it comes out to close to $.08
per kwh. Gas is similar! Advertised $1.12 per therm, but it comes out to
$1.66 per therm. Also gas has gone up in price, but electric rates will
follow along too. I was working at a large government owned electricity
provider today and was told electric is going up soon. At this time my bet
is if in your area gas has been historically cheaper it will continue to do
so.
Greg