Chris Lewis

Default How can I start a 220V well pump in a blackout if I don't have a 220V generator?

According to dean :
I'm looking for a way to run the deep well pump, I don't know how much
HP is it, but I think its on a 40 amp circuit at 220V. I've looked for
a 220V inverter, but I can't find anything online.

Is there ANY other way to start a well pump, without buying a large
generator?

Short of finding a _big_ (at least 3-4 times the wattage rating of
the pump - ie: at least 2500W) 240V inverter (they _are_ available),
no.

40A at 240V is 9600W. That's a honking big inverter. You could
just about buy a new car for how much one of those costs.

[And it'd draw 800A from a 12V battery. Oooch!]

[The pump probably draws somewhere between 5 and 10A at 240V,
depending on rating. You NEED to know this before buying
an inverter or generator.]

Inverters just aren't an economical choice for driving
AC motors 1/6HP or so.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est