Rich

Default Drilling holes Correcting mistakes in hole locations

Anthony wrote:

"Fred" wrote in
:

Drilling 1/4" holes on a 1/8" thick mild steel plate on a floor drill
press but a few of the holes were off. Try to corrected it on my drill
press to widen the holes with the same 1/4" drill bit the bid just
deflected from side pressure. I do not want to use a larger bit since
it will make the holes too large. I then try to corrected it with a
Dremel with one of those small cylindrical grinding stone attached to
a 1/8" shaft to get in the 1/4" hole but the grinding stone only
lasted about 10 seconds before disintegrated. So what is the right
tool/method just to widen those holes on one side?

A rattail file and a vice.

Hand filing is often overlooked by people who love machines.

Clamp your work well, use a sharp file (new one if necessary), watch the
angles you use as you hold the file, and you may be amazed as to how
much control you have and how much metal you can remove in a short time.

Rich