Bruce L. Bergman

Default "Wood" dust collector for metal dust?

On 17 Oct 2005 10:48:18 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

I just got a new G9975 Shop Fox 2 HP Dust Collector.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9975

I am going to use it with my 2"x72" belt grinder and grind mostly
carbon and stainless steel but dust collector manual says "for WOOD
dust only!"

Is this "WOOD" dust collector going to have a problem with metal dust?

If anything, you need to use a metal body shop vac that can safely
contain a fire. If you try using a workshop piped dust collection
system designed for woodworking to do both wood and metal clean-up
have water hoses and extinguishers on hand, and make sure your fire
insurance is paid up.

Besides the problems that have been mentioned already with hot
sparks from the grinder in the same bag house with wood dust, and the
moisture from the wood flour causing steel fines to oxidize and catch
fire, there is a third hazard that you create when you suck up the
grindings from a bench grinder or use a belt sander on metal - take
steel fines and aluminum fines, mix them together, and you have
Thermite. Does mot take much to set it off...

Keep the Wood Shop and the Metal Shop seperate.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545