Todd Fatheree

Default Kitchen cabinet design question

"HMFIC-1369" Baa wrote in message
news:VLQ4f.10526$l_2.1862@trnddc02...
Before you start! Why are you doing this? To save money? make a point of
your skill? or design a kitchen that fits?

Because I want to.

Level the ceiling at all cost. It would be easier to level the area above
the cabinets then dicking around with trim that may Never look right!
Examine what cabinets will store what and build them for the family. I'm
6'2" and the wife is 5'6" realize the difference in reach having space out
of is valueless. Unless you love hearing Honey can you get this! The focus
besides storage area should also be the work area, bumping the cabinets

out
another inch or two may rob more valuable workspace. Why bump them out for

2
large plates and one bowl? I'd also avoid face framing and only consider
that when re-modeling the cabinets.

There isn't a ceiling at the moment. This is for a new addition. I expect
the ceiling to be pretty flat but there is no such thing as perfect. We've
spent a fair amount of time discussing what cabinets will be used for what.
One of the main reasons I'm using taller cabinets is that I hate soffits
(almost as much as frameless cabinetry) and my wife hates the idea of
dusting the top of a cabinet. Hence, they go all the way to the ceiling.

The last thing I learned is to budget yourself first then re-evaluate your
costs. I was going to bust my nut and build all new cabinets. I looked
carefully at costs and time. When you sell the place in most all cases

those
beautiful cabinets will never really be appreciated again. I decided that

it
was best for me to buy Ikea Cabinets, and make the doors out of fine

Maple.
BUT! It also allowed me to save enough money (time is money too) to buy

the
Silestone Countertop I wanted! This also allowed me to focus more time,
money and effort on the wet bar to show my skill.

I've already explained to my wife that after we do this addition, we're not
going anywhere for a very long time.

todd