Don Foreman

Default Welder for around $1,000

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:19:06 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Good for you, Ig. Welded any 20 gage aluminum with it yet?

Not likely with a DC-only machine.

Ig is building a chopper to get squarewave from it.

(snip)

Aluminum is quite tricky, and there are a lot of alloys that are hard
or impossible to weld with TIG. I burned up a few feet of edges on various
scraps of aluminum sheet until I proved that I could get about 4" of
really decent-looking butt weld on .062" aluminum. That told me that
all I needed was more practice.

Zirconiated tungstens made a huge difference for me when working
with thin aluminum. Using the right filler for a given alloy can
help a lot too.