carl mciver

Default "Wood" dust collector for metal dust?

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
| I just got a new G9975 Shop Fox 2 HP Dust Collector.
| http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9975
|
| I am going to use it with my 2"x72" belt grinder and grind mostly
| carbon and stainless steel but dust collector manual says "for WOOD
| dust only!"
|
| Is this "WOOD" dust collector going to have a problem with metal dust?

Construction of the equipment notwithstanding, wood dust is highly
explosive, and introduction of a hot chip into the dust is truly an awesome
thing to see. You can use appropriate ducting material and let the exhaust
from the grinder dump into a bucket, or for positive evacuation, I've seen
small shop vacs used, and you can get an additional device that turns on the
vacuum when you turn on the grinder.
Any material that creates a spark when grinding is not compatible with
explosive dust mixtures. Even if you don't get sparks into the mix, the
steel will make contact with the moist wood, start rusting, and if packed in
tight, can start a fire all on its own, sped up by the wood with a lower
temperature ignition point. You never want a pile of metal shavings or dust
to get damp.