Glenna Rose

Default Cutting board question

Last January, we had a storm during which the top third of my Evergreen
Magnolia tree landed, in various pieces, on the ground. I saved some of
the larger branches (sans leaves) for some sort of craft project.
Recently, after a 20-year break, I got my table saw operating again. Out
of curiosity, I cut back a piece of one of the branches and got quite
excited at making a "stick." The wood is quite attractive and obviously a
hardwood.

This house was built mid-forties and has the old-time bread board/cutting
board built into the kitchen cabinet. It is not meant for cutting,
appears to be made of fir. I would like to make a replacement board out
of some of the magnolia pieces. While I don't have a bandsaw or a planer,
there are friends who do and could prep the wood for me. Before I make an
assumption here (assumptions are always dangerous!), and build the board
for lengthwise grain, it seemed smart to verify it with those who know
about such things.

Comments, please, on the potential project.

Also, I recently purchased a dovetail jig and will soon be embarking on
making drawers/boxes with dovetails. There is no question in my mind that
there'll be a dovetail building frenzy follow! Fortunately, I have two
granddaughters who, though only little ones (just 4 yesterday and 6 in
January) will enjoy treasure boxes.

Another question: Home Depot currently has a scroll saw on sale for $87.
Would it be of any worth to buy it or should I wait a bit longer and get a
better quality model? At this time, it wouldn't be used for anything
serious, but more playing around as my serious stuff will be with the
table saw.

Glenna

WaltC

I bought a cheap Ryobi scroll saw, and while it did move the blade up
and down, it hasn't been a good saw. The adjustments are too sloppy,
and the blades don't stay in the holders. If you are going to spend
money, spend a bit more and get the Craftsman at $140 or so, they were
very highly rated a year or so ago in side by side testing. (My poor
Ryobi was the lowest rated of the lot)

Leonard Lopez

If you look back through messages in the group you will find that the
Bosch saws are the favorite! I bought one on their advice and have found
it to be excellent. I gave my Craftsman away.

Len

Cutting Board Highspeed Woodworking 20 December 23rd 04 06:36 PM
Custom wood cutting board stowy Woodworking 3 December 9th 04 09:58 PM