Highspeed

Default Cutting Board

I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

Thanks,

Lars

Frank Ketchum

"Highspeed" wrote in message
news:1103597369.e7b6640022bf559c20979b4b16cae734@t eranews...
I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

mineral oil
walnut oil
salad bowl finish

Roger Shoaf

"Highspeed" wrote in message
news:1103597369.e7b6640022bf559c20979b4b16cae734@t eranews...
I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

The last time I made a cutting board was in shop class and the preferred
finish was peanut oil.

IIRC other vegetable oils would go rancid and mineral oil could impart a
yucky taste.

I recall sanding, wetting, sanding, wetting, sanding, and then oil, rub,
oil, rub, oil, rub, etc until you got a nice finish and the rag was clean.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Greg

I have one I made over a year ago and it is used daily. I don't do anything
special. I wash it with dish water and spray it with bleach ... all the stuff
they say not to do. It looks great. I know if I stop using it for a while I
should soak it with mineral oil (to stop it from drying out and splitting) but
that isn't likely.
My maple counter tops have poly on them. They are counters, not cutting boards

Richard Clements

the Butch block oil they sell at woodcraft and Rockler is just mineral oil
at 6x the cost, I found a cutting board finish at one of the local cooking
stores that was mineral oil and bees wax that seems to work well

Highspeed wrote:

I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

Thanks,

Lars

sandman

In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

The last time I made a cutting board was in shop class and the preferred
finish was peanut oil.

Peanut oil was allowed in a school? No rules about peanut related
products?
Aside from the fact that the stuff is absolutely lethal to a human with
a peanut allergy, the finish does look great.

Phisherman

Mineral oil is probably the best finish as it is inorganic and won't
degrade. Buy it at the pharmacy to get "food grade." I've had good
results without applying any finish at all to one cutting board I've
used for over 20 years. The oil will make the wood look richer and
somewhat protect it from splitting.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:35 -0500, "Highspeed" wrote:

I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

Thanks,

Lars

Vic Baron

That's because nobody knew how dangerous it was back then. I'm 67 and when I
read all the cautions today I wonder how the hell I survived!!! I ( used
to) smoke, drink, take aspirin, use a straight razor, and all numbers of
things that are either warned against or legislated against today.

Times sure have changed and not necessarily for the better in some cases

"sandman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

The last time I made a cutting board was in shop class and the preferred
finish was peanut oil.

Peanut oil was allowed in a school? No rules about peanut related
products?
Aside from the fact that the stuff is absolutely lethal to a human with
a peanut allergy, the finish does look great.

Slowhand

"Highspeed" wrote in message
news:1103666731.4a996af1c3634cfd7b15adde7203cc49@t eranews...
MMMMMMMMMMMMMaple Syrup is 'o' so tasty!! Thanks for the input, mineral
oil it is.

Sorry. I just couldn't help it g
SH

"Highspeed" wrote in message
news:1103597369.e7b6640022bf559c20979b4b16cae734@t eranews...
I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

Thanks,

Lars

John

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning
peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks
with peanut alleries at risk.

Then we can ban CARS, GUNS, KNIVES, BASEBALL BATS, and everything else
that is potentially lethal to even a few folks

Lets also ban the production of LATEX products as every years there
are a few folks who die from latex alleries.

John

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:31:52 GMT, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

That's because nobody knew how dangerous it was back then. I'm 67 and when I
read all the cautions today I wonder how the hell I survived!!! I ( used
to) smoke, drink, take aspirin, use a straight razor, and all numbers of
things that are either warned against or legislated against today.

Times sure have changed and not necessarily for the better in some cases

"sandman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

The last time I made a cutting board was in shop class and the preferred
finish was peanut oil.

Peanut oil was allowed in a school? No rules about peanut related
products?
Aside from the fact that the stuff is absolutely lethal to a human with
a peanut allergy, the finish does look great.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:35 -0500, "Highspeed" wrote:

I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

The blood of newbies, as an offering to the Evil Gods of Google, that
they might restore the old interface unto us, and possibly send us a
bountiful Spring if they're feeling generous.

DC

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:35 -0500, "Highspeed" wrote:

I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

The blood of newbies, as an offering to the Evil Gods of Google, that
they might restore the old interface unto us, and possibly send us a
bountiful Spring if they're feeling generous.

I reserve the right to quote this as heavily as I see fit. }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

It's not the software that's free; it's you.

sandman

In article ,
John wrote:

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning
peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks
with peanut alleries at risk.

I don't know about 'banning' those products, but I do see warning labels
all over the place... MAY contain peanuts, or nut products.
I am already told NOT to use my sanders in the rain, NOT to use my
toaster oven in the bath tub.
Soon, on a baseball bat, a sticker will appear: DO NOT use this to smack
somebody on the head... in 3 languages... something like.. Ne Smaquez
Vous Pas Le Bat Sur Le Fucquing Head...

DO NOT RIDE THE OSSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER!!!!

hehehehe..just had a visual here...

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:33:39 -0500, sandman
wrote:

In article ,
John wrote:

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning
peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks
with peanut alleries at risk.

I don't know about 'banning' those products, but I do see warning labels
all over the place... MAY contain peanuts, or nut products.
I am already told NOT to use my sanders in the rain, NOT to use my
toaster oven in the bath tub.
Soon, on a baseball bat, a sticker will appear: DO NOT use this to smack
somebody on the head... in 3 languages... something like.. Ne Smaquez
Vous Pas Le Bat Sur Le Fucquing Head...

DO NOT RIDE THE OSSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER!!!!

hehehehe..just had a visual here...

I see a whole new news group he alt.sex.binaries.shoptools

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
George

Well, might be interested in this, if you're interested in fact versus hype.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/food.htm

"Nut allergies," and peanuts are not nuts, BTW, are _not_ to the extracted
oils, but to the proteins. As long as you don't buy the cold pressed oil at
your health food shop, but a solvent-extracted oil, should be no problem.

Oh yes, they're not at all common, either.

http://www.asthmacasestudies.org/pat...oodallergy.stm

In school they reduced the 2% of food-allergic adults, 8% of children to
..1% of people likely to have an anaphylactic reaction. The figures above
are from people who make their money by administering allergy tests and
medications, so they _might_ be a touch high.

Sounds about equal to the number of "nuts" who tried to use their rotary
lawnmowers as hedge trimmers....

"sandman" wrote in message
In article ,
John wrote:

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning
peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks
with peanut alleries at risk.

I don't know about 'banning' those products, but I do see warning labels
all over the place... MAY contain peanuts, or nut products.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:33:39 -0500, sandman
wrote:
In article ,
John wrote:

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning
peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks
with peanut alleries at risk.

I don't know about 'banning' those products, but I do see warning labels
all over the place... MAY contain peanuts, or nut products.
I am already told NOT to use my sanders in the rain, NOT to use my
toaster oven in the bath tub.
Soon, on a baseball bat, a sticker will appear: DO NOT use this to smack
somebody on the head... in 3 languages... something like.. Ne Smaquez
Vous Pas Le Bat Sur Le Fucquing Head...

DO NOT RIDE THE OSSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER!!!!

hehehehe..just had a visual here...

Warning label on a can of jerked peanuts (SERIOUSLY Yummy . .)

"Warning. This product many have been produced in a factory or on
equipment used to process peanuts or other tree nuts. May contain
peanuts."

JRYezierski

Lars,
Get some bees wax and canola oil,combine the two so that when it is
cool it will be a soft solid similar to soft playdough.
Apply this very very warm to your cutting board,let soak for 3 hours
or so (longer would be fine also)than wipe/buff off.
I have been using this combo for many years now and my customers
love it.It last for 2 years and more as long as it is wiped off with a clean
damp cloth when finished using.

This old tale about not using anything other than mineral oil as
all the other oils go rancid is BS. Unless you have such a large amount of
oil that is pooling on your cutting board (does anyone really go and apply
large amounts of veggie oil so it pools and puts it away with all this
excess oil on it?) when you put it away in a wartm humid place there is no
way veggie oil is going to go rancid.

Regarding bleaching the cutting board to clean it why bother as a
study was done comparing wood cutting boards vs plastic cutting boards at
the Univ.of Wisconsin (I think it was there) food tech dept. that found wood
cutting boards were safer as when wiped clean bacteria died in the wood
while bacteria grew on the plastic cutting boards.
Merry Christmas
Jerome

"sandman" wrote in message
In article ,
John wrote:

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning
peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks
with peanut alleries at risk.

I don't know about 'banning' those products, but I do see warning labels
all over the place... MAY contain peanuts, or nut products.
I am already told NOT to use my sanders in the rain, NOT to use my
toaster oven in the bath tub.
Soon, on a baseball bat, a sticker will appear: DO NOT use this to smack
somebody on the head... in 3 languages... something like.. Ne Smaquez
Vous Pas Le Bat Sur Le Fucquing Head...

DO NOT RIDE THE OSSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER!!!!

hehehehe..just had a visual here...

Barry Lennox

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:45:46 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Highspeed" wrote in message
news:1103597369.e7b6640022bf559c20979b4b16cae734@ teranews...
I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple
cutting board with?

The last time I made a cutting board was in shop class and the preferred
finish was peanut oil.

IIRC other vegetable oils would go rancid and mineral oil could impart a
yucky taste.

Peanut or soya-bean oils will not go rancid, others do. I use
soya-bean, it's cheaper

Barry Lennox