Starrett Repairs?

Old June 28th 04, 02:30 AM
Paul Hofnagel

Default Starrett Repairs?

Okay folks,

I need a bit of advice. My ever generous mother in law bought me a
Starrett Dial Caliper for Christmas. Yesterday, said caliper got
caught in a slide of other crap from my workbench to the concrete
floor. It flew out of its case and has ceased to function.

I've disassembled/ re-assembled most of the mechanism but it refuses
to open once re-assembled. If I could get behind the dial I suspect I
could make the adjustments to get it working again.

Here's the question. I see that Starrett will take in their tools for
repair. Is it more cost effective to send it in for repairs or to
simply purchase a new one?

Any thoughts?
Old June 28th 04, 03:21 AM
CW

The thing to do would be to get ahold of them. They probably have a standard
price for repairs. Usually, the price is replacement cost (theirs). That
usually works out to half to 75% of retail. I have not dealt with Starrett
but most companies of this reputation will simply replace the tool for the
repair price if it is to bad.

Old June 28th 04, 03:31 AM
Mark L.

I've done both, repaired myself and sent them in. You don't
necessarily have to send it to Starrett, if there is a local distributor
they can recommend a shop. I wouldn't advise doing it yourself unless
you have small tools, good eyes and patience. Behind the dial there are
a few small gears, pinions, etc. Doable, but drop just one small piece
on the floor and..... IMO, a repair will normally run about 1/2 the
price of a new one, depending on how much work there is.

There is a small, long spacer that resides between the rack and the
indicator housing. That spacer has a small notch for a pin that keeps
it stationary as the housing slides. Make sure the pin is in the
clearance hole of the spacer. And make sure the long rack is clean of
any chips.
Mark L.

Old June 28th 04, 04:47 AM
John Hofstad-Parkhill

I had swarf problems with both my Starrett and Brown & Sharpe. The Starrett
I sent to Starrett, I don't have the exact numbers on repairs, but the
advise you've already received here is about right, closer to $50 for each,
depending on model can be a bit less than 1/2 retail.

These guys fixed my B&S:

http://www.msiviking.com/

I would recommend either. I was very happy with Viking Gauge.

In either case, the caliper can be calibrated and/or recertified by the
service you choose, something that you will unlikely be able to do. I look
at it this way, and even though we're talking woodworking here, it's a
principal. Accuracy, and your ability to measure it, is reliant on your
certified gauges.

Old June 28th 04, 04:54 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul Hofnagel" wrote in message

Here's the question. I see that Starrett will take in their tools for
repair. Is it more cost effective to send it in for repairs or to
simply purchase a new one?

Any thoughts?

Easy answer. You send it in to Starrett. They will handle it in the most
cost effective manner. They will have the parts and tools on hand and do the
job right.
Ed

Old June 28th 04, 05:31 AM
John

Typically cheaper to repair than to buy a new replacement Starrett, as
NEW Starretts are pricey

John