Table Saw Lubricant?

Old June 21st 04, 12:27 AM
Woodcrafter

Default Table Saw Lubricant?

Howdy.

Out of interest, what do you all use to lubricate the innards of your table
saw mechanisms/trunnions etc.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 50 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides
- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set
- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw
- Triton Powered Respirator
- Veritas Power Tool Guide
- Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo

Old June 21st 04, 01:05 AM
Carl Stigers

I use trewax. I believe that any good paste wax would be good. Leaves no
sticky residue that picks up sawdust. And that makes it easy to clean up.

Carl Stigers
Carl's Custom Woodworking
New London, CT

Old June 21st 04, 01:27 AM
Bob

I use a small baby jar 3/4th full of paste wax (Butcher's) and one small
tube of dry graphite (Auto store), mix it in the wax slowly while you add a
drop of mineral spirits to the wax so you can stir it. Only a drop or two
is all that's needed. If you get to much, don't worry and just leave the
lid off the jar and the mineral spirits will evaporate off.

I use an old toothbrush to apply the wax/graphite mixture to all the gears
etc. Wax alone will certainly work but I've always added the graphite. One
small jar of this will last you a long time.

Bob S.

Old June 21st 04, 01:59 AM
patriarch

"Bob" wrote in
:

[...]

So, how frequently does one need to go through this process? And how far
down should one count on disassembling the saw? In other words, is this an
all-day process, with full realignment afterwards? Or 15 minutes, then
good to go?

Patriarch
Old June 21st 04, 02:13 AM
Charlie Self

Patriarch asks:

So, how frequently does one need to go through this process? And how far
down should one count on disassembling the saw? In other words, is this an
all-day process, with full realignment afterwards? Or 15 minutes, then
good to go?

Depends a lot on the saw. Some saws go for years without extra lube, in light
use. Others need lube often with modest use. And the particular saw dictates
the needs. Disassembly shouldn't be needed, but...you need to use one
toothbrush to clean the area, another full of wax or wax and graphite to
lubricate. Some saws make it easy to reach the spots you need to reach, while
others don't. I prefer to use an engine crane (or a couple helpers) to turn the
saw sideways or upside down, as needed, IF needed. For those of you with good
knees and small bellies, a contractor's saw will usually allow you to slip
underneath with a flashlight to check things out and do the work.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to." Dorothy Parker

Old June 21st 04, 03:08 AM
Phisherman

I always get out the owner's manual and follow that. It's been a long
time since I've done a table saw tune up, and I've only done one since
I bought the PM66 12 years ago. I would not use anything not
recommended by the manufacturer.
Old June 21st 04, 03:12 AM
John

Use BoeShield T9 for the innerds. Drys to a waxy consistancy that
does NOT catch nor hold dust/chips/etc

One of the machinery books I have read recommended spray White Lithium
grease for the gears/trunnions, but so far I have been very happy with
the BoeShield T9

I know some folks recommend T9 for the cast iron table top as well,
but it really does NOT make the table top SLICK like a good paste wax.
Sure, I gotta re-apply the pastewax about once a month, but so far NO
rust with that schedule and the paste wax (modified by adding EXTRA
carnuba into the Johnson's paste wax)

John

Old June 21st 04, 04:21 AM
Joe_Stein

I recently lubed the screws on my contractor-type table saw. I used a very
small dab of white grease on each. Things are within easy access...I just
pick up the saw and lay it on the workbench. I also did a quick cleaning
with the vac.
Cheers.
Joe

Old June 21st 04, 09:27 AM
Charlie Self

Phisherman responds:

I always get out the owner's manual and follow that. It's been a long
time since I've done a table saw tune up, and I've only done one since
I bought the PM66 12 years ago. I would not use anything not
recommended by the manufacturer.

For Powermatic 66s, use Lubriplate. That's what goes on at the factory.

Old unisaw table different from new ones? Heath Roberts Woodworking 8 March 22nd 04 04:21 PM
How Wide Should an Outfeed Table be? Jay Chan Woodworking 9 March 17th 04 02:42 PM
Extension leaf design for dining room table Melvin P. Schtepner Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 01:39 PM
Jet table saw table out of tolerance Bob Davis Woodworking 3 October 21st 03 05:54 PM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM