Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat platesfor a table saw?

Old August 6th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Old August 6th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2010 2:20 PM, dpb wrote:
mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Still, why tempt fate? The one time it happens it's gonna clip the
mother-in-law in the back of the head and she's going to claim that you
did it deliberately and there's the end of domestic tranquility for the
next decade or so.

Old August 6th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb

J. Clarke wrote:
On 8/6/2010 2:20 PM, dpb wrote:
mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Still, why tempt fate? ...

Some odds are so long as to make them essentially non-existent
likelihoods. Out of all the PM-66's and Unisaurs that afaik have never
had a single one w/ a insert plate lock mechanism it seems even if it
were a occurring but rare event it would have surfaced sometime in the
last 70-80 years or so given the number of opportunities. Yet I'd never
even heard it broached as a possibility what more an event until a few
posters up...

$0.001...

Old August 6th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:25:57 -0500, dpb wrote:

Some odds are so long as to make them essentially non-existent
likelihoods.

That was my reaction as well. My 1948 Delta is the only saw I've owned
that had a clip in the back. The manufacturers must have since concluded
that it added nothing to safety - and if the lawyers let them get away
with it they were probably right :-).

Old August 7th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 8/6/2010 2:20 PM, dpb wrote:
mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Still, why tempt fate? The one time it happens it's gonna clip the
mother-in-law in the back of the head and she's going to claim that you
did it deliberately and there's the end of domestic tranquility for the
next decade or so.

Why look on the downside? Upside is domestic tranquility forever.

Old August 7th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Me neither. The only way it could happen is not having it secured while the
initial cut through was being made, or
if it was made so loose that it could rattle around in the pocket.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 7th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

"dpb" wrote

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Me neither. The only way it could happen is not having it secured while
the initial cut through was being made, or
if it was made so loose that it could rattle around in the pocket.
--
Jim in NC

Blades do become non-flat, often during a cutting operation and this is
especially likely with a think kerf blade if it gets hot. Then it starts to
widen the insert slot and....

Old August 8th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 5, 3:23*am, "Jeff Gorman" wrote:
wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Park the fence over the plate just to the side of the blade
and raise away. Even then, stoop down to place yourself
lower than the saw top and slightly to the side. Haven't
had a plate thrown yet, but why take a gamble?
Old August 8th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:14:32 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/5/10 10:49 PM, Kevin wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:42:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

-Kevin

How the heck would it flex too much. There's no pressure put on a ZCI,
right? At least, there shouldn't ever be.
If everything on your saw is set up true and your blade is flat, you
could practically use a piece of clipboard.

You need some down pressure on the stock as you are feeding it,
especially with smaller parts. I always get a chuckle out of the "as
long as your saw is setup perfectly" as if every piece of wood behaves
itself perfectly during cuts.

My most extreme example would be with my shop built tenoning jig that
rides the rip fence, need a lot of down pressure to keep the stock
from lifting in the cut, and if there's any flex your cut is too deep.

-Kevin
Old August 8th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

You really found that 1/2" flexed too much? How wide is your throat - or
how long? I can't imagine a throat that is so big that 1/2" would flex....
but I'be been wrong before... once...

I think it's about 15". Probably about a foot span from the support
ledges. Doesn't take much to flex 1/2" MDF over that and as far as
I'm concerned when it comes to the TS that insert ought not to budge
if I put any reasonable force on it, because when the sh*t hits the
fan why throw one more variable into the equation?

I didn't notice the flex until using my tenoning jig that rides the
fence. I don't bother clamping the stock in place as it takes too
much time when you have a lot of parts to cut, so you have to put some
significant force to keep it from riding up during the cut. But I
wasn't getting consistent cutting depths and that's when I tested out
pushing down on the insert and could see the sucker flex. If all I
ever did was cut sheet goods I'd never notice and it wouldn't be an
issue.

-Kevin