Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

Kevin wrote:

I happen to have shot some video of a project and I have me in action
using the jig. So here is a still frame of the horrible accident
waiting to happen. Please cover the eyes of any small children or
shop dogs so they don't have to live with the shock.

http://www.krtwood.com/tenonjig.jpg

Looks fine to me. You might consider gluing some sandpaper to your jig
so your work won't easily slide. Also, either a toggle clamp or those
handy spring clamps will be fast and effective.

--
Jack
Got Change: Global Warming ====== Global Fraud!

Does it look like I'm pushing down hard? Cause I'm not. But if that
had been an MDF insert the cut depths would have been inconsistent.

Some amount of down pressure is a normal part of most operations at
the table saw, you just don't think about it. Don't try running some
1/8" plywood through the saw without pushing down on it. It'll bounce
like crazy and then almost certainly kick back. Whatever force you
apply is NOTHING compared to the force the blade can generate into the
table. It's just common sense to make the insert as rigid as you can
practically make it. MDF is a poor choice.

-Kevin