Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:23:54 -0400, Kevin wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:01:13 -0500, "
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:47:07 -0400, Kevin wrote:

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:44:38 -0500, "
wrote:

You really found that 1/2" flexed too much? How wide is your throat - or
how long? I can't imagine a throat that is so big that 1/2" would flex....
but I'be been wrong before... once...

I think it's about 15". Probably about a foot span from the support
ledges. Doesn't take much to flex 1/2" MDF over that and as far as
I'm concerned when it comes to the TS that insert ought not to budge
if I put any reasonable force on it, because when the sh*t hits the
fan why throw one more variable into the equation?

15" wide throat? That's the size of the table on most saws! What sort of saw
do you have?

It's 14", ends are semi-circular. It's a Ridgid contractor saw,
nothing special.

14" front to back? ...or side to side? What's the smallest dimension?

Front to back. Side to side is more like 4" but there are no supports
on the sides, only at the front and back.

Ah, this is making a lot more sense now. When you were asked how _wide_ the
throat was and replied 15" it threw me off completely. I was imagining a
man-hole sized plate. ;-) Thanks.