spinning wheel plans

Old October 24th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default spinning wheel plans

I am looking for a set of plans for a double peddle spinning wheel.
I have pretty much exhausted the search thing and found a couple but the
pics are very bad so it's hard to tell the true look of the finished
product.
I am hoping someone here knows of some.

Thanks to all in advance,
Lee

Old October 24th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

walnutlvr wrote:
I am looking for a set of plans for a double peddle spinning wheel. I
have pretty much exhausted the search thing and found a couple but
the pics are very bad so it's hard to tell the true look of the
finished product. I am hoping someone here knows of some.

Try doing a Google /image/ search to narrow down the choices visually.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Old October 24th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"walnutlvr" wrote in message
Thanks Morris but I really am looking for plans and that search didn't
seem to work. I use metacrawler and uses several search engines including
Google

http://images.google.com/images?as_q...images&as_st=y

Will this help?

Old October 24th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

A bit but still no decent plans.
Won't be able to read replies til around midnight cst gotta go to work

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Will this help?

Old October 24th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "walnutlvr"
wrote:

I am looking for a set of plans for a double peddle spinning wheel.
I have pretty much exhausted the search thing and found a couple but the
pics are very bad so it's hard to tell the true look of the finished
product.
I am hoping someone here knows of some.

It's only a single pedal wheel, but the 1929 Popular Mechnics Shop Notes
has a pretty comprehensive plan for a colonial-style spinning wheel on
pages 25-32. The book is available in reprint from Lee Valley. It
seems to me it wouldn't be altogether impossible to come up with a
redesign of a single pedal wheel to have two pedals; I don't begin to
know enough about spinning to know if double pedal also generally
implies additional changes, though.

To be honest, I'm not completely sold on the styling of this design; it
looks rather too heavy and highly styled for my tastes--a little too
much turning and not enough general proportion, I guess.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Old October 25th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

walnutlvr wrote:

I am looking for a set of plans for a double peddle spinning wheel.
I have pretty much exhausted the search thing and found a couple but the
pics are very bad so it's hard to tell the true look of the finished
product.
I am hoping someone here knows of some.

Thanks to all in advance,
Lee

]

Lee, I was just looking for the same thing. The best I found is listed
below, though they are single pedal and not dual. However, converting them
to dual pedal is "a piece of cake." All you have to do is make a slight
modification to the way the pedal attaches and put an extra crook in the
axle. Also, looking at the Ashford of a friend of mine, I am going to
modify the Maidens to accept sintered bronze bearings, like the Ashford
uses.

http://www.woodcraftplans.com/fd181.htm

http://www.woodcraftplans.com/fd182.htm

I ordered both sets and had then in about four days, not bad.

I built the Popular Mechanics wheel and it is not bad. Since it was my
first, I really cannot judge the plans but they appear easier to follow
than the ones mentioned above. The reason I am going with the above is
that I (my daughter actually) want a larger wheel than the 17/18" in the
Popular Mechanincs plans.

If I can be of any help, give me a shout.

Deb
Old October 25th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Dr Deb,
Thank you for the suggestion and link. I was looking at those plans but
wasn't sure if they where what she wanted. Turns out if I can convert it to
two pedal she would like the large wheel.
Again thank you.
Lee

]

Old October 25th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Han

"walnutlvr" wrote in :

Dr Deb,
Thank you for the suggestion and link. I was looking at those plans
but wasn't sure if they where what she wanted. Turns out if I can
convert it to two pedal she would like the large wheel.
Again thank you.
Lee

I have a naive question: What is the advantage of dual pedals?

I forget what the similar piece of equipment was where I had a single pedal
keeping a wheel going, but the flywheel action was such that a single wheel
was no problem.

FWIW ...

--
Best regards
Han
Old October 25th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

My wife says it's easier to start and keep going in the correct direction
and it's less tiring............that said it's what she wants and I am not
going to argue as she bought me a lathe to turn the spindles ))