Shopsmith - antique or just old?

Old August 10th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Shopsmith - antique or just old?

Hello, all you dust devils! My late father owned a 1950's-era
Shopsmith and my mother is thinking of selling it. I have asked her
if she can find the manual, but in the meantime I can give you the
faceplate info. It's a Model ER, Serial No. R67986, Patent Applied
For.

I have seen Shopsmiths for sale referred to as Mark II, Mark V, etc.
Anyone know which this is?

Thanks,
Jeannie

Old August 10th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Try this link http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ss10er.htm

Old August 10th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

That, I believe, would be a 10ER - which is not a Mark version - made
from 1947 to 1953, check with:

Brian

Old August 10th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

"Jeannie" wrote in message
Hello, all you dust devils! My late father owned a 1950's-era
Shopsmith and my mother is thinking of selling it. I have asked her
if she can find the manual, but in the meantime I can give you the
faceplate info. It's a Model ER, Serial No. R67986, Patent Applied
For.

I have seen Shopsmiths for sale referred to as Mark II, Mark V, etc.
Anyone know which this is?

Thanks,
Jeannie

There is a Shopsmith Users Group in the Yahoo domain. Their resident guru
can tell you all the variations ever made.

Yours sounds like a 10ER. That was one of the earliest versions, with the
open belts. I still use the one my Dad left me. It has a high serial
number, like yours. The guy at SUG said it was a version sold by
Montgomery-Wards in 1953. That's relatively late for this model.

These are like old motorcycles. Some people think they're old junk, and
some covet them. A good example will still bring over $500 at a yard sale,
but some others have worn out until they are only used as sanders. If your
mother finds the manual, that could generate some interest, too.

The only accessories this unit shares with the Mark V are the ones that fit
on the spindle. The 1/2" quill with the flat is about the only thing they
have in common.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old August 10th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

The User Group might be the ticket.
Someone there might be making one up to spec - and need parts or a new
frame..... for that older model. So there is some worth in older shop stuff.

Look around and see if there are other parts that are made for it. They
will up the price as often they are forgotten and are not on the market.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

BeeFlow wrote:
"Jeannie" wrote in message
[...]

Shopsmith Charles Friedman Woodturning 13 May 14th 07 01:55 AM
Shopsmith Joseph Handy Woodturning 6 April 7th 06 03:22 PM
Shopsmith Ronald L. Schloss Woodworking 6 August 3rd 05 05:28 PM
shopsmith [email protected] Woodworking 3 September 11th 04 11:06 AM
Shopsmith ER Ajarisa Woodturning 0 August 19th 03 08:23 PM