Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
BeeFlow BeeFlow is offline

Default Shopsmith - antique or just old?

"Jeannie" wrote in message
Hello, all you dust devils! My late father owned a 1950's-era
Shopsmith and my mother is thinking of selling it. I have asked her
if she can find the manual, but in the meantime I can give you the
faceplate info. It's a Model ER, Serial No. R67986, Patent Applied
For.

I have seen Shopsmiths for sale referred to as Mark II, Mark V, etc.
Anyone know which this is?

Thanks,
Jeannie

There is a Shopsmith Users Group in the Yahoo domain. Their resident guru
can tell you all the variations ever made.

Yours sounds like a 10ER. That was one of the earliest versions, with the
open belts. I still use the one my Dad left me. It has a high serial
number, like yours. The guy at SUG said it was a version sold by
Montgomery-Wards in 1953. That's relatively late for this model.

These are like old motorcycles. Some people think they're old junk, and
some covet them. A good example will still bring over $500 at a yard sale,
but some others have worn out until they are only used as sanders. If your
mother finds the manual, that could generate some interest, too.

The only accessories this unit shares with the Mark V are the ones that fit
on the spindle. The 1/2" quill with the flat is about the only thing they
have in common.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.