Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Repeating cuts of 3/16" dowel

I'm working on a jig to hold my wood for planeing. Part of the jig
requires cutting a dowel rod to pieces (mostly) the same size. I need 12
such pieces, about an 1" to 1 1/2" in size.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cuts evenly and
efficiently? I don't have a band saw, and don't have plans to get one
soon.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper writes:

I'm working on a jig to hold my wood for planeing. Part of the jig
requires cutting a dowel rod to pieces (mostly) the same size. I need 12
such pieces, about an 1" to 1 1/2" in size.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cuts evenly and
efficiently? I don't have a band saw, and don't have plans to get one
soon.

That's simple.

I'd use a bench hook, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_hook
with a stop the inch from the edge of the hook.
Clamp a piece of wood to your bench for the stop.

Push the dowel until it hits the stop. Cut at the edge of the
hook. Repeat. My benchhook has the top guide flush with the edge
(unlike the above drawing). I use this as a guide for square cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
| I'm working on a jig to hold my wood for planeing. Part of the jig
| requires cutting a dowel rod to pieces (mostly) the same size. I
| need 12 such pieces, about an 1" to 1 1/2" in size.
|
| Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cuts evenly and
| efficiently? I don't have a band saw, and don't have plans to get
| one soon.

If I didn't have a band saw, I'd clamp a stop block to my TS sled and
use another clamp to hold the dowel stock while I cut - should be able
to produce a dozen identical pieces in about two minutes...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 5:56 am, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm working on a jig to hold my wood for planeing. Part of the jig
requires cutting a dowel rod to pieces (mostly) the same size. I need 12
such pieces, about an 1" to 1 1/2" in size.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cuts evenly and
efficiently? I don't have a band saw, and don't have plans to get one
soon.

Puckdropper

I glued an old style wooden clothespin with the spring to a piece of
plywood to hold dowels when I need to cut little pieces with my
chopsaw.
Or try this:
http://tinyurl.com/y7z7pa

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 05:53:44 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
| I'm working on a jig to hold my wood for planeing. Part of the jig
| requires cutting a dowel rod to pieces (mostly) the same size. I
| need 12 such pieces, about an 1" to 1 1/2" in size.
|
| Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cuts evenly and
| efficiently? I don't have a band saw, and don't have plans to get
| one soon.

If I didn't have a band saw, I'd clamp a stop block to my TS sled and
use another clamp to hold the dowel stock while I cut - should be able
to produce a dozen identical pieces in about two minutes...

He doesn't say what he has. Personally I'd just clamp a stop to the
fence on my RAS and chop chop chop. One should be able to do the same
with a CMS or SCMS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
I'm working on a jig to hold my wood for planeing. Part of the jig
requires cutting a dowel rod to pieces (mostly) the same size. I need 12
such pieces, about an 1" to 1 1/2" in size.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cuts evenly and
efficiently? I don't have a band saw, and don't have plans to get one
soon.

On apparently occasions in this current wooddorking world, nothing beats a
handsaw ... this is one of them, IMHO.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On apparently occasions in this current wooddorking world, nothing beats a
handsaw ... this is one of them, IMHO.

That was going to be my suggestion. A 3/16 dowel would be about half
a light stroke with a good japanese pull saw, or a little jig could be
rigged up with a stop and some kind of bearing surface for a flush cut
saw, if you were doing a whole bunch.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce Barnett wrote in
:

That's simple.

I'd use a bench hook, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_hook
with a stop the inch from the edge of the hook.
Clamp a piece of wood to your bench for the stop.

Push the dowel until it hits the stop. Cut at the edge of the
hook. Repeat. My benchhook has the top guide flush with the edge
(unlike the above drawing). I use this as a guide for square cuts.

That looks like a good idea, thanks!

Puckropper
--
Hey, where's my signature.txt file? (Must not be copied over yet... ah
the joys of a new hard drive.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in news:45c32717$0$508$815e3792
@news.qwest.net:

If I didn't have a band saw, I'd clamp a stop block to my TS sled and
use another clamp to hold the dowel stock while I cut - should be able
to produce a dozen identical pieces in about two minutes...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

I thought of that, but we've got 3" of snow on the ground and I don't
want to mess with it. (My power tool shop is the great outdoors.)

Puckdropper
--
Oh, there it is. ;-)