Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett Bruce Barnett is offline

Default Repeating cuts of 3/16" dowel

Puckdropper writes:

I'm working on a jig to hold my wood for planeing. Part of the jig
requires cutting a dowel rod to pieces (mostly) the same size. I need 12
such pieces, about an 1" to 1 1/2" in size.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cuts evenly and
efficiently? I don't have a band saw, and don't have plans to get one
soon.

That's simple.

I'd use a bench hook, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_hook
with a stop the inch from the edge of the hook.
Clamp a piece of wood to your bench for the stop.

Push the dowel until it hits the stop. Cut at the edge of the
hook. Repeat. My benchhook has the top guide flush with the edge
(unlike the above drawing). I use this as a guide for square cuts.