Harbor Freight router table

Old August 4th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Dan

Default Harbor Freight router table

Anyone have any experience with these Harbor Freight router tables, on
sale for $180. might be worth a look:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...%20ACCESSORIES

TIA

Dan
Old August 4th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I have no direct experience using it, just looking at it in the store,
but here are a few observations:

(1) The included router is only 720 W (6 Amps at 120 V), which is more
like 3/4 HP, not the claimed 1 HP. For table use, you'll probably want
something beefier, like 13-15 Amps. I can't tell if you could fit a
larger router to the table

(2) I can't tell the size of the table opening, which is important for
larger bits. Of course, for larger bits, you'd want a more powerful
router.

(3) A total of 180 little bolts, nuts and washers to assemble the
stand? It would just about as quick (and more solid) to build your own
stand out of plywood.

(4) Finally, even on sale, it's not that cheap. Harbor Freight has some
good bang-for-the-buck items, but I don't think this is one of them.
For the same money, I'd suggest that you either:

(A) Buy a good router, like a Hitachi M12V, and build a simple table
and fence, or (B), if you already have a router, get an Incra fence
package. I think either of these will be more satisfactory in the long
run.

Old August 4th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these Harbor Freight router tables, on
sale for $180. might be worth a look:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...=621&pricetype
=S&categoryname=WOODWORKING%20%20ACCESSORIES

TIA

Dan

I made my router table out of an old floor standing Televison cabinet,had
to strengthen a bit though and the bottom drawer was used for storing
various bits&pieces of router acessories with additional trays added above
in the cabinet itself with ample room to remove the router for cleaning.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Centering router on table base Oleg Lego Woodworking 49 January 15th 06 03:36 AM
router for a Porter-Cable router table? Dave Gower Home Repair 8 March 2nd 05 05:55 AM
router table setup Lewis Woodworking 6 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Router Table Top Questions Max Mahanke Woodworking 1 May 10th 04 07:12 PM