Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making a large sweeping cove on an overhang

I have a link to a sketch of a cove that I set into 3 sides of a flat
board. I was able to do it, but I had a devil of a time in the
crossgrain sides. I started to use a monocutting head on a tablesaw.
It worked fine cutting with the grain. The effort was anything but
smooth on cross grain sides. I finally used a router bit, but I was
just able to raise the bit high enough to get the radius I wanted. I
guess my question is: What is the best way to produce a large radius
"flute" in the middle of a board (say 1 inch or more in radius)?

The reason I ask the question in this way is that I might want to make
a very long overhang sometime with a radius well away from the edge of
a board (more overhang than shown).

ttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/sweepingcove.gif

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "eganders" wrote:
I have a link to a sketch of a cove that I set into 3 sides of a flat
board. I was able to do it, but I had a devil of a time in the
crossgrain sides. I started to use a monocutting head on a tablesaw.
It worked fine cutting with the grain. The effort was anything but
smooth on cross grain sides. I finally used a router bit, but I was
just able to raise the bit high enough to get the radius I wanted. I
guess my question is: What is the best way to produce a large radius
"flute" in the middle of a board (say 1 inch or more in radius)?

The reason I ask the question in this way is that I might want to make
a very long overhang sometime with a radius well away from the edge of
a board (more overhang than shown).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...eepingcove.gif

This could be cut on a table saw. The technique has been described here a
couple of times, or you could look for a copy of "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly
Mehler at your local bookstore or library.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

This could be cut on a table saw. The technique has been described here a
couple of times, or you could look for a copy of "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly
Mehler at your local bookstore or library.

--
Regards,

As soon as you started the sentence, I knew what you were going to say
and remembered the method. Yes, that is probably the best way, angle
the piece across the blade...I even made a jig for it and promptly
forgot! Thanks!

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM