Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Making a large sweeping cove on an overhang

In article . com, "eganders" wrote:
I have a link to a sketch of a cove that I set into 3 sides of a flat
board. I was able to do it, but I had a devil of a time in the
crossgrain sides. I started to use a monocutting head on a tablesaw.
It worked fine cutting with the grain. The effort was anything but
smooth on cross grain sides. I finally used a router bit, but I was
just able to raise the bit high enough to get the radius I wanted. I
guess my question is: What is the best way to produce a large radius
"flute" in the middle of a board (say 1 inch or more in radius)?

The reason I ask the question in this way is that I might want to make
a very long overhang sometime with a radius well away from the edge of
a board (more overhang than shown).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...eepingcove.gif

This could be cut on a table saw. The technique has been described here a
couple of times, or you could look for a copy of "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly
Mehler at your local bookstore or library.

--
Regards,