Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Default Viewing via Google, I no longer get trees on the left side...???

Sometime last week I think it was, the thread hierarchy stopped
appearing in Google on the web, but near the top there is a link, right
below the thread title, "View as tree".

I find it irritating not to be able to see the tree, or to have to
click an extra link to get to it: does anyone know if I can change this
back?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Connor Aston

downlaod a free version of opeara browser and use their news reader works
very well

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:05:34 -0000, hylourgos wrote:

Sometime last week I think it was, the thread hierarchy stopped
appearing in Google on the web, but near the top there is a link, right
below the thread title, "View as tree".

I find it irritating not to be able to see the tree, or to have to
click an extra link to get to it: does anyone know if I can change this
back?

Thanks,

http://www.connoraston.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"hylourgos" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sometime last week I think it was, the thread hierarchy stopped
appearing in Google on the web, but near the top there is a link, right
below the thread title, "View as tree".

I find it irritating not to be able to see the tree, or to have to
click an extra link to get to it: does anyone know if I can change this
back?

Thanks,

It pays to look at the Help provided by the application you're running.
Look at this link from Google's Help...

http://groups.google.com/support/bin...2660&topic=245

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I had already done that. But the
instructions there don't accord with what I'm seeing on my screen (iMac
G5 w/ OmniWeb 5.1.2).

For example, their note:

"To change the default view for the list of recent threads, go to any
group homepage. In the top right corner, just under the yellow bar,
you'll see two choices. You can view the threads with message text or
with titles only."

On my screen under the yellow bar of the wreck's opening page is "sort
by relevance" and "sort by date".

Their subsequent note:

"To change the default view for the thread page, click on any thread
with more than one message. By default, you'll see the conversation
view with all messages in the post displayed vertically. To change your
default to a tree view which shows the relationships between messages,
scroll to the top post and click the "view as tree" link under the
thread title. Once you've clicked the link, all threads will be
displayed in the tree view. To change your default back to the
conversation view, click the "No frame" link in the left pane of the
tree view."

....doesn't change the *default*, it just allows you to switch between
views on any post. I don't want to have to switch the view on every
post I look at to see the tree view. I want it to come up that way, and
can't figure out how to change the default. It's not in my Preferences
link either.

Still not seeing trees,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"hylourgos" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hmmmmmmm... I just went to google and went to this group. Selected "view as
tree" and jumped back and forth between several threads, always ending up
in tree view in every thread. Of course, you jump out of tree view when
selecting the newsgroup itself, in order to see all of the threads, but when
I selected any thread, it opened the thread in tree view.

I don't use google for usenet, so I don't have an account that I log into.
I just go to the google groups site. Not sure what differences there would
be for those who actually log in. Try just going out to google and not
logging in.

Question - why use google for news? Does your ISP not offer usenet? Google
is half baked for usenet, at best. I'd certainly suggest a real netnews
service over goggle any day.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

I mostly use it because it's good, free, requires no setup, it's
faster, it's super easy to use, it has the same interface for recent
posts as it does for the archives, and I can post from any machine
that's on the internet with a browser.

What am I missing? A killfile? My, how terrible -- my mouse wheel is
soooo far from my finger.

Mike Marlow wrote:
"hylourgos" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Mike Marlow wrote:

Question - why use google for news? Does your ISP not offer usenet? Google
is half baked for usenet, at best. I'd certainly suggest a real netnews
service over goggle any day.

For one thing Mike, it seems that Google uses top-posting, which is
generally considered to be a no-no on usenet.

The polite way to reply to a post is to remove all unnecessary bits,
leave only the context that you're replying to, and then put your
response below the bit that you're replying to.

Aside from netiquette issues, the biggest advantage of a real newsreader
for me is speed. The newsreader downloads all of the unread headers and
I can scan hundreds or thousands of thread subjects at a once rather
than having to refresh the page all the time.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Mike Reed" wrote in message
oups.com...
I mostly use it because it's good, free, requires no setup, it's
faster, it's super easy to use, it has the same interface for recent
posts as it does for the archives, and I can post from any machine
that's on the internet with a browser.

All right Mike - you're not fun at all. You use google, and yet you include
the text you're replying to. Wassamatta with you? I thought it was written
somewhere in the google end user agreement that one could not do that.

Yes, you can do all of those things, but I was expressing my own personal
opinion earlier and I'm no fan of browser based netnews. I've never seen an
interface I like. Personal preference.

What am I missing? A killfile? My, how terrible -- my mouse wheel is
soooo far from my finger.

I'm not much of a kill file user. Like you, I can find my way to the next
post. But - binaries are missing when you use google. Don't know if you
look at alt.binaries.pictures.nude.woodworking at all, but it's worth
subscribing to. It was a much better group to subscribe to when there were
some wimmin posters here, but Swingman and JOAT drove them all off by
posting pictures of themselves every day...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Nie

The polite way to reply to a post is to remove all unnecessary bits,
leave only the context that you're replying to, and then put your response
below the bit that you're replying to.

Chris,
Thanks. Now tell me if this worked correctly.

Gray-haired newbie.
TomNie

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Mike Reed wrote:

What am I missing? A killfile? My, how terrible -- my mouse wheel is
soooo far from my finger.

How about missing the wherewithall to withdraw your support from a
company that is actively censoring the net so that it can gain access
to the Chinese "market"?

Kowtowing to communists for money. Google is pathetic.

djb

--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

"Tom Nie" writes:

The polite way to reply to a post is to remove all unnecessary bits,
leave only the context that you're replying to, and then put your response
below the bit that you're replying to.

Chris,
Thanks. Now tell me if this worked correctly.

Gray-haired newbie.
TomNie

Almost perfect, except you forgot to attribute the quote properly

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

Mike Marlow wrote:
Don't know if you look at alt.binaries.pictures.nude.woodworking at all, but it's worth
subscribing to.

Ok, you win. Good point. Never mind. :P

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

For some mysterious reason, it's gone back to displaying the tree
hierarchy when I open up any thread. Must've been the goat sacrifices I
tried last night....

I have struggled with using a reader for some time, even made a few
half baked attempts, but they didn't work and I didn't have time to
follow up. Story of my life.

No doubt I'll do it someday and think, "darn, I wish I'd done that a
long time ago."

But for now at least, I'm back in the forest and can see the trees.

Epimetheanly yours,