Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Viewing via Google, I no longer get trees on the left side...???

"hylourgos" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I had already done that. But the
instructions there don't accord with what I'm seeing on my screen (iMac
G5 w/ OmniWeb 5.1.2).

"To change the default view for the thread page, click on any thread
with more than one message. By default, you'll see the conversation
view with all messages in the post displayed vertically. To change your
default to a tree view which shows the relationships between messages,
scroll to the top post and click the "view as tree" link under the
thread title. Once you've clicked the link, all threads will be
displayed in the tree view. To change your default back to the
conversation view, click the "No frame" link in the left pane of the
tree view."

...doesn't change the *default*, it just allows you to switch between
views on any post. I don't want to have to switch the view on every
post I look at to see the tree view. I want it to come up that way, and
can't figure out how to change the default. It's not in my Preferences
link either.

Still not seeing trees,

Hmmmmmmm... I just went to google and went to this group. Selected "view as
tree" and jumped back and forth between several threads, always ending up
in tree view in every thread. Of course, you jump out of tree view when
selecting the newsgroup itself, in order to see all of the threads, but when
I selected any thread, it opened the thread in tree view.

I don't use google for usenet, so I don't have an account that I log into.
I just go to the google groups site. Not sure what differences there would
be for those who actually log in. Try just going out to google and not
logging in.

Question - why use google for news? Does your ISP not offer usenet? Google
is half baked for usenet, at best. I'd certainly suggest a real netnews
service over goggle any day.

--

-Mike-