Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband

Default End Joining Boards for Panels?

I want to glue up some scrap boards into panels, but the boards I have are
shorter than the panels I need. So, I'm curious if there is an easy, and
Inexpensive method of gluing boards end to end?

I'd like to glue up a couple of boards end to end. Then cut those to width,
and glue them side-to-side into panels (staggering end joints, of course).
Then I'll run the panel through my planer and cut to size. That's the
theory anyway....

I thought about getting a finger jointing router bit, but Rockler wants $75
for one of those ($137 for the adjustable kind)! Ouch... The wood isn't
worth that much. I'm just trying to use up my scraps, and then I won't need
to do this anymore. So I don't want to make a huge investment.

I thought about a tongue and groove, but that's a fair amount of labor, and
I'm not sure how it would look when I plane the panels to thickness.

Also thought about cutting the two boards on a bevel, but wasn't sure if
that would really be any stronger than a simple end-to-end butt joint. It
would also be difficult to clamp up?

Any tips?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

First, end-end would break in about a second.

Two, I wouldn't plane after the glue up. You're asking for the piece
to tear and explode in the planer.

If i HAD to do what you want to do, I would make a half lap joint. the
longer the better (more gluing area).

If you want a cool design element, how about a dovetail? Like this:

http://www.leighjigs.com/data/D4U_Ch12.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

I cut them square, butt them up and make sure the joits are staggered and
make sure that the outside pieces are continuous (not pieced). I have done
this for drawers side. The structural compromise is inconsequential and a
drawer side has minimal visual impact. I would not do it on an heirloom
piece but I did this on a few kitchen drawers to use up scrap maple.

-Steve
"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

HerHusband wrote:

[...]

What Larry said and I'll add don't you think the result will look like hell?

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"HerHusband" wrote in message
I want to glue up some scrap boards into panels, but the boards I have are
shorter than the panels I need. So, I'm curious if there is an easy, and
Inexpensive method of gluing boards end to end?

I made a walnut cabinet. I didn't have quite enough wood prepared, but had
some scraps left over. I biscuit jointed two pieces end to end and used
them to make up the back-most piece in the top panel. It came out fine.
Now... it was only two weeks ago, so I don't know what the long term results
will be, but I can't see why they shouldn't do okay.

You want to make up a whole panel like that, right? Obviously it won't have
the strength of a sound panel and will look a little odd; but if those are
not problems it ought to be okay to just biscuit them like I did.

Some might argue that the end grain will move differently than the biscuit
and cause problems; but biscuit grain is at a 45, so it shouldn't give any
more problems in end grain than in face grain since it half way between the
two.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:16:41 -0600, HerHusband
wrote:

I want to glue up some scrap boards into panels, but the boards I have are
shorter than the panels I need. So, I'm curious if there is an easy, and
Inexpensive method of gluing boards end to end?

I'd like to glue up a couple of boards end to end. Then cut those to width,
and glue them side-to-side into panels (staggering end joints, of course).
Then I'll run the panel through my planer and cut to size. That's the
theory anyway....

Assuming this is not a troll, like what colour to paint the
workbench...

If the final product is not too large, do T&G along the lengths.
Clamp lengthwise as well as across. The glued T&G will hold to give
strength to the end glue-up. It will still look like something I'd
use to keep warm.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

It's called finger jointing
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de/werks.../en_index.html It
gives you the same stuff they sell as paint grade trim at the BORG.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

I'm going with a scarf joint, which may not be easy to make, or a half
lap, which is roughly the same thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Gordon Airporte wrote:

I'm going with a scarf joint, which may not be easy to make, or a half
lap, which is roughly the same thing.

You seriously think a panel will look attractive with any sort of end
joints?

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

HerHusband wrote:

[...]

I've made a few things from glued up short pieces. There are two
tricks I'd say. One, best have several small staggered joints than one
large one. In that case the end joints need only be simple butt joints
because all the strength comes from the edge joints...

good bad
__ __ __ ________
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
|__| | | | |
| | |__| | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | |________|
| | | | | |
| |__| | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
|__| | | | |
| | | | | |
| | |__| | |
| | | | |________|
| | | | | |
| |__| | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
|__|__|__| |________|

And two, all pieces must be EXACTLY the same width. I've used a router
table setup as shown below...

fence -- |
|__
| |
| | --wood
| |
| |
| |O --straight bit
| |
| |
| |
|__|

Machines each piece perfectly and each the exact same width.

Another concern is to chop the end of each piece as clean and square
as possible.

Gluing up can be tricky. Getting all glued and clamped and flat is a
lotta fun.

After it dries, run it through your planer and you'll have a spiffy
new panel with a bit of a hardwood floor look to it.

Hope that helps,

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband

First, end-end would break in about a second.

I did a test glue up yesterday, end to end. Took it out of the clamp,
grabbed each end, and "snap" it popped apart at the seam... No surprise,
eh...

I wouldn't plane after the glue up. You're
asking for the piece to tear and explode in the planer.

Why? I routinely plane glued up panels and have never had a problem? For
that matter, I routinely run multiple boards simultaneously through the
planer without problems? Am I missing something here...?

If i HAD to do what you want to do, I would make a half lap joint.
the longer the better (more gluing area).

I'm currently experimenting with a scarf joint. Made up a quick jig to make
the scarf cuts on my miter saw. Will have to wait and see how that works
out...

Otherwise, I'll try the half lap approach.

Thanks!

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband

don't you think the result will look like hell?

It's just for the panels in my garage cabinets. But, I'm still
experimenting... Enough experiments, and I won't have any wood left...

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

HerHusband wrote:

don't you think the result will look like hell?

It's just for the panels in my garage cabinets. But, I'm still
experimenting... Enough experiments, and I won't have any wood left...

Anthony

gotcha. I used 1/4" white vinyl clad mfd for my cabinet doors which I
wouldn't be caught dead with inside the house! g

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband

don't you think the result will look like hell?

It's just for the panels in my garage cabinets.

As luck would have it, I had an idea for some new cabinets in my garage. I
have to make some measurements, but if I end up building them, I'll need
several short panels. So, I may be able to make use of the shorter boards
as-is... We'll see... I'm still experimenting with end joining though.
It may come in handy later even if I don't use it now.

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

You seriously think a panel will look attractive with any sort of end
joints?

Nope.

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

HerHusband wrote:

don't you think the result will look like hell?

It's just for the panels in my garage cabinets.

As luck would have it, I had an idea for some new cabinets in my garage. I
have to make some measurements, but if I end up building them, I'll need
several short panels. So, I may be able to make use of the shorter boards
as-is... We'll see... I'm still experimenting with end joining though.
It may come in handy later even if I don't use it now.

Anthony

Well, while you are experimenting, try out the one I posted on
a.b.p.w. Strong as end-to-end joints go, but I wouldn't recommend it
for your panelg.

Need advice on replacing lap boards FACE Home Repair 2 September 11th 05 01:21 AM
Replacing lap siding boards FACE Home Repair 0 September 7th 05 03:25 PM
Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
Looking for long HICKORY flooring boards (6'-8') Shawn Home Repair 0 April 20th 04 12:45 AM