Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Default Duct tape and dust collection

I'll admit that I don't know much about duct tape or dust collection.
But I figured using duct tape to actually tape together ducts would be
a novel idea. At first, it worked great. I taped some flex hose to
some waste gates and s&d pipe. A few days later, I was walking through
the garage/shop and noticed that the tape didn't hold. It was wrapped
around the s&d pipe on the wall, then strung to the now disconnected
flex hose on the floor, then wrapped around the end of the flex hose.
I'm not sure if I didn't wrap it tightly enough, or maybe used the
wrong kind of tape, or maybe didn't put strain relief in like I should
have somehow. Anyway, both connections I made this way failed. Can
anyone suggest what do to when I try to fix it this weekend?

btw: this is a temporary DC arrangement. So I'd like to avoid using
spiral pipe or an expensive ductwork system where all the pieces fit
exactly.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
SonomaProducts.com

The duct tape should only be used to seal the connection, not as a
structural component of the connection. The pipes should slide over
each other or be otherwise attached such that they are secure. Then you
use duct tape to seal it from air leakage.

Sounds like you were having the tape hold the joint together which is
not really the best approach.

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

I know it's a hack. The s&d simply doesn't match up well to the flex
hose. It's really loose, like maybe off by 1/4". I was under the
impression that duct tape could do anything. :-)

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel

Yes, duct tape can do everything!! Remember Star Wars? The "Force"? They
were talking about duct tape. It has a light side, and a dark side, It
holds the universe together.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

Flex hose fits inside the pvc duct fittings quite snug and can then be taped
to miminize air leakage. Can also fit the flex into the flares end of pvc
pipe.
Otherwise you will need some type of connector to clamp on the flex and pvc.
A pvc fitting is cheaper.

As for the waste gates, different problem. I try to attach the waste gate
to the flex, and then the flex to go inside a pvc fitting. If you have to
attach waste gates to pvc, you will get a very loose connection, even with
1/2inch foam tape to try to seal. I have this situation at my radial saw,
which is close to the wall and not enough room for waste - flex - pvc.

Dave Paine.

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT

There is duct tape and there is duct tape. In order to get the product on
the shelf at the cheapest price, manufacturers have produced a cheap duct
tape that is flimsy and doesn't stick for long. I can remember the original
duct tape when it came out, it was heavy, and had adhesive that would stick
to anything and it never let go, at least for a few years. Even now, there
is some very good duct tape on the market, it is hard to find, and even
harder to identify when you find it, except that it mostly is on a larger
diameter roll. Since they often wind more cheap stuff on a roll to give it
"heft" you can be fooled. I bought some a few months ago, and was impressed
with the thickness and the aggressive adhesion, but I don't remember where I
bought it, and what the outer package looked like, as I want to get more.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
gadgetman

brianlanning wrote:
[...]

Probably already answered BUT the gray duct tape is not what I used in
my DC 5" metal duct system or on any metal ducting. I used the
aluminum shiny stuff from HD. It sticks a lot better and seals better
and doesn't come loose.
The gray stuff comes loose after a while and it is correct that most
gray duct tape is not very good - get the good stuff, may have to get
online. It is thicker and has much more robust construction and
adhesive.
Hope that helps

Mike R

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Flex hose fits inside the pvc duct fittings quite snug and can then be taped
to miminize air leakage. Can also fit the flex into the flares end of pvc
pipe.

Thanks dave, that's exactly what i was looking for.

As for the waste gates, different problem.

I have the black plastic waste gates. I can't remember where I got
them, probably woodcraft or something. Anyway, I ran a few layers of
duct tape around the ends of the waste gate and that made things close
enough so that they would stay. Those joints stayed together. It was
the pvc to flex hose joints that failed.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Thanks. Can anyone suggest a brand of duct tape? I literally couldn't
tell the difference between any one them so I got a white role that I
thought would look nice. I'd rather have one that works. :-)

brian