Default Is Constantine still in biz ? (Bronx NY hardwood store)

Their 800 number (800) 223 - 8087 sounds like
a pay-per-minute s*x phoneline, Website is down,
the 718 792-1600 rings with no answer ...

http://www.constantines.com/

1 800 443 9667 is the new number. Google returns old one, I guess.

OK.

the Bronx NY store is no more, was closed down about 8Y ago. Whatta
shame !

The only one left is in FL.

Bill Leonhardt

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

OK.

the Bronx NY store is no more, was closed down about 8Y ago. Whatta
shame !

Not at all surprised---while they had a nice selection, their pricing
was outrageous and service terrible--at least mail order. I tried to
use them a couple of times while in the TN/VA area when there wasn't the
"veritable plethora" of choices of today and it was unmitigated hell
dealing w/ them--at least long distance.

I heard stories that in-store was a different matter, but couldn't vouch
for that.

Duane,

Too bad you had such a negative experience with Constantines. Mine was just
the opposite.

I live about an hour and a half's drive from the old Bronx location and
would make a pilgrimage there about once a year to buy veneer. One of the
aspects that I really enjoyed was that they would let you go "in the back"
and pick your own veneers off the shelves. I enjoy doing marquetry and it
was really nice to pick a species that that would have the color and figure
to illustrate a portion of the picture (i.e. swirling water).

I never thought their prices were a bargin, but not that outrageous either.
For me, the sad part is that I always expected that they would be there and,
as I move closer to retirement and the prospect of having more time to work
wood, I had hope to increase the frequency of my visits.

I guess that train has left the station.

Bill Leonhardt
(reply doesn't work-at least I hope it doesn't)
wjleonhardt_at_bnl_dot_gov

Duane Bozarth

Bill Leonhardt wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

the Bronx NY store is no more, was closed down about 8Y ago. ...

Not at all surprised---while they had a nice selection, their pricing
was outrageous and service terrible--at least mail order. ...
I heard stories that in-store was a different matter, but couldn't vouch
for that.

Too bad you had such a negative experience with Constantines. Mine was just
the opposite.

As I noted, I had been told that "in person" was a different experience,
but being 500 mi removed that an unlikely event.

I never thought their prices were a bargin, but not that outrageous either.

In retrospect, I'm sure I've overreacted on price point owing to the
problems about mail order delivery and trying to get missing order items
delivered, etc. But, as I say, this was in the days long ago before
there wasn't the present preponderance of mail order business and I go
the feeling it wasn't much of a priority w/ them at the time. Years
later I got catalogs but never gave them another opportunity.

For me, the sad part is that I always expected that they would be there and,
as I move closer to retirement and the prospect of having more time to work
wood, I had hope to increase the frequency of my visits.

I guess that train has left the station.

Isn't that often the case, unfortunately? The old "you don't know what
you got 'til it's gone" refrain...
JKevorkian

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:05:09 -0400, "Bill Leonhardt" wrote:

the Bronx NY store is no more, was closed down about 8Y ago. Whatta
shame !

Has it been that long? I haven't done any serious woodworking in some time due
to my 'regular' job, but geez,..
Do you mean I've had that marvelous grain filler in my shop all those years?
That box of pumice and rottenstone and rubbing oil has been sitting on the shelf
for so many years?
That huge roll of quarter-sawn oak veneer has been languishing on the wood rack
since Bush the 1st was president?

Tempus fugit. Hominus mort.
Sigh

Tom Flyer