Bill Leonhardt

Default Is Constantine still in biz ? (Bronx NY hardwood store)

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

OK.

the Bronx NY store is no more, was closed down about 8Y ago. Whatta
shame !

Not at all surprised---while they had a nice selection, their pricing
was outrageous and service terrible--at least mail order. I tried to
use them a couple of times while in the TN/VA area when there wasn't the
"veritable plethora" of choices of today and it was unmitigated hell
dealing w/ them--at least long distance.

I heard stories that in-store was a different matter, but couldn't vouch
for that.

Duane,

Too bad you had such a negative experience with Constantines. Mine was just
the opposite.

I live about an hour and a half's drive from the old Bronx location and
would make a pilgrimage there about once a year to buy veneer. One of the
aspects that I really enjoyed was that they would let you go "in the back"
and pick your own veneers off the shelves. I enjoy doing marquetry and it
was really nice to pick a species that that would have the color and figure
to illustrate a portion of the picture (i.e. swirling water).

I never thought their prices were a bargin, but not that outrageous either.
For me, the sad part is that I always expected that they would be there and,
as I move closer to retirement and the prospect of having more time to work
wood, I had hope to increase the frequency of my visits.

I guess that train has left the station.

Bill Leonhardt
(reply doesn't work-at least I hope it doesn't)
wjleonhardt_at_bnl_dot_gov