Allan Matthews

Default 270 degree hinges

I bought 270 degree hinges from Rockler so I assume they are okay.
When I installedl them on the first door of a cabinet, the door did
not want to close all the way easily. Screws are in all the way,
everything looks good and I cannot figure what is wrong. First time I
have ever used this type of hinge. Do I have to relieve the wood in
any way for them to work right?

Any ideas are thankfull accepted.
Allan
Upscale

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
I bought 270 degree hinges from Rockler so I assume they are okay.
When I installedl them on the first door of a cabinet, the door did
not want to close all the way easily.

Did they come with paper directions on how to adjust them? Assuming that the
hinges are installed properly and the door is of proper size, I'd loosen up
all the screws a bit on the hinges and then see if the door could be placed
properly. If so, start gradually tightening them up keeping note of how
screw adjustment changes the position of the door. 270° hinges can be
adjusted on 3 planes. (up and down, in and out, squareness). Keep in mind
that these adjustments are magnified by the fact that there's at least two
hinges installed.

Allan Matthews

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:05:40 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
I bought 270 degree hinges from Rockler so I assume they are okay.
When I installedl them on the first door of a cabinet, the door did
not want to close all the way easily.

Did they come with paper directions on how to adjust them? Assuming that the
hinges are installed properly and the door is of proper size, I'd loosen up
all the screws a bit on the hinges and then see if the door could be placed
properly. If so, start gradually tightening them up keeping note of how
screw adjustment changes the position of the door. 270° hinges can be
adjusted on 3 planes. (up and down, in and out, squareness). Keep in mind
that these adjustments are magnified by the fact that there's at least two
hinges installed.
No instructions. The hinges are built with a plate that is bent 90 degrees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabinet side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are exactly 3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just don't see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same problem at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

wrote:

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
I bought 270 degree hinges from Rockler so I assume they are okay.
When I installedl them on the first door of a cabinet, the door did
not want to close all the way easily.

Did they come with paper directions on how to adjust them? Assuming that=

the
hinges are installed properly and the door is of proper size, I'd loosen=

up
all the screws a bit on the hinges and then see if the door could be pla=

ced
properly. If so, start gradually tightening them up keeping note of how
screw adjustment changes the position of the door. 270=B0 hinges can be
adjusted on 3 planes. (up and down, in and out, squareness). Keep in mind
that these adjustments are magnified by the fact that there's at least t=

wo
hinges installed.
No instructions. The hinges are built with a plate that is bent 90 degr=

ees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face =
of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabine=
t side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are ex=
actly 3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just don't=
see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same probl=
em at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

Hello Allan,
There are a couple of things that you'll want to check for. First,I'd
check to see if either the head of the screws or the back elbow of the
door bend of the hinge are by chance hitting as you close the door. You
might be able to tell by looking closely from the edge of the door as
you close it, or you might rub a bit of chalk on the screw head and the
hinge bend, then test close the door. The chalk will leave a mark on
the opposing piece as you close the door if a rub or tight fit is
present. If a chalk mark is left, then you'll know that removing a bit
of wood where the mark is should relieve the bind. Another thing you
might check is that the front edge of the cabinet side and the edge of
the door are square. If by chance the front edge of the cabinet side
was not planed square then it could be possible that the hinge it not
seating properly. Mortising is usually not done for these hinges by if
an edge is not quite square one could make a slight mortise under any
part needed to bring things back square as may be needed.
I hope this is of help to you.

Steve

Technical Support
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
http://www.rockler.com

Allan Matthews

wrote:

[...]

Steve, Thanks for reply but all screws are set below fluch point and
door bend of hinge is not hitting. Wood does not contact wood at any
point in closing.

Front edge of cabinet side is perfectly square but the bends in the
hinges do not appear to be at 90 degrees..hard to check tho, with a
square. Also inside of bends is round so I wonder if I should have
rounded over the cabint edge.

I thought it was something I had done wrong but am now convinced that
the hinges simply are bent at wrong angle or don't have clearance
where they should. My first attempt at 270 degree hinges and they
looked so right for the application and looked so simple to attach and
use. There is really only one way they can go on.
I have only attached one door out of four so far so well have to do
some more heas scratching.

Oh well, back to the drawing board but I really needed a 270 degree
opening.
Allan

Upscale

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
No instructions. The hinges are built with a plate that is bent 90

degrees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the
face of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the
cabinet side. There is no way to adjust anything.

I was thinking you had the Blum type of hinges ~ the type that fits a 35mm
hole.
http://www.replacementkitchendoors.u...ess-hinges.htm

wrote:

[...]

Hmm... the rounded inside bend of the hinge might be affecting the
mount slightly but should take no more than a slight rounding over with
a file or even sandpaper to get a tight fit. This will tend to be
needed more if you are using a hardwood such as oak. One can't really
check the hinge itself with a square as you mention, but when you take
a look at the hinge from an end view if the bends look a bit off then
it could be they were overbent in manufacturing. In looking at this
hinge closely it looks to me that a good solution would be to make a
slight relief on the cabinet edge in the open section of the hinge
where the door half folds into the cabient half. As the inside door
half of the hinge can rotate entirely around within the inside of the
hinge mortising a relief at this part of the cabinet front edge should
result in any possible binding being eliminated. Also, you can compare
the hinges against one another and see if some seems worse than others.
Some tolerances may be considered normal by the manufacturer, but if
the bends seem to be way off contact Rockler's customer service at
800-279-4441 with your order information and arrangements for
replacements can be made.
Steve

Technical Support
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
http://www.rockler.com

Allan Matthews

On 14 Jul 2005 11:13:19 -0700, wrote:

Allan Matthews wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I am going to try another door tomorrow and do two things. I
am going to round the corner of the inside of the cabinet where the
hinge "wraps around" and I am also going to relieve the edge of the
cabinet side where the strap that fastens to the door comes around
when the door is closed.

Will let you know how it turns out. I think the culprit may be in the
round inside corner of the hinge against the cabinetedge...it is Red
Oak
..Allan