Allan Matthews wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:05:40 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
I bought 270 degree hinges from Rockler so I assume they are okay.
When I installedl them on the first door of a cabinet, the door did
not want to close all the way easily.

Did they come with paper directions on how to adjust them? Assuming that=

the
hinges are installed properly and the door is of proper size, I'd loosen=

up
all the screws a bit on the hinges and then see if the door could be pla=

ced
properly. If so, start gradually tightening them up keeping note of how
screw adjustment changes the position of the door. 270=B0 hinges can be
adjusted on 3 planes. (up and down, in and out, squareness). Keep in mind
that these adjustments are magnified by the fact that there's at least t=

wo
hinges installed.
No instructions. The hinges are built with a plate that is bent 90 degr=

ees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face =
of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabine=
t side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are ex=
actly 3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just don't=
see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same probl=
em at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

Hello Allan,
There are a couple of things that you'll want to check for. First,I'd
check to see if either the head of the screws or the back elbow of the
door bend of the hinge are by chance hitting as you close the door. You
might be able to tell by looking closely from the edge of the door as
you close it, or you might rub a bit of chalk on the screw head and the
hinge bend, then test close the door. The chalk will leave a mark on
the opposing piece as you close the door if a rub or tight fit is
present. If a chalk mark is left, then you'll know that removing a bit
of wood where the mark is should relieve the bind. Another thing you
might check is that the front edge of the cabinet side and the edge of
the door are square. If by chance the front edge of the cabinet side
was not planed square then it could be possible that the hinge it not
seating properly. Mortising is usually not done for these hinges by if
an edge is not quite square one could make a slight mortise under any
part needed to bring things back square as may be needed.
I hope this is of help to you.

Steve

Technical Support
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware