guitar stand plans

Old May 20th 05, 05:17 PM
John B

Default guitar stand plans

I have searched in vain for an attractive and functional guitar stand
design. Seems the best functional design is the metal stand I already have.
More attractive wooden stands all seem defective functionally in one way or
another, either from the standpoint of stability or the way it cradles the
instrument. Anyone here have a recommendation?

Old May 20th 05, 11:49 PM
Gordon W

John B wrote in message
I have searched in vain for an attractive and functional guitar stand
design. Seems the best functional design is the metal stand I already

have.
More attractive wooden stands all seem defective functionally in one way

or
another, either from the standpoint of stability or the way it cradles the
instrument. Anyone here have a recommendation?

I made one for my son some years ago from plans by James Reyne the former
lead singer of Australian Crawl.
I'll post a pic to a.b.p.w and if you like it I can post the 'how to' from
Better Homes and Gardens May 1999 if you can't find a copy.

Gordon

Old May 21st 05, 12:40 AM
C & M

What the heck is a.b.p.w. (sorry for being lame) and a "how to" would be
great. Anything I ever came up with (in my head anyway) involved lamination
and bending.
Later,
Chiz

Old May 21st 05, 10:02 AM
brian c

Alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
It is a news group that allows pictures
good luck finding it
Brian

Old May 21st 05, 10:54 AM
WhiteBuffalo32

Here's a link to some pics of one I made my son.
I had a radiused lamination (or 3 ) laying around and thought it would
work nicely for a stand.

I found that there aren't many plans out there for stands ,
so just wing it and use your imagination.

http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.co...rstandpics.jpg
http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.com/guitarstand.jpg

Old May 21st 05, 11:58 AM
Mike Marlow

"WhiteBuffalo32" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's a link to some pics of one I made my son.
I had a radiused lamination (or 3 ) laying around and thought it would
work nicely for a stand.

I found that there aren't many plans out there for stands ,
so just wing it and use your imagination.

http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.co...rstandpics.jpg
http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.com/guitarstand.jpg

Now that's a nice guitar stand.

--

-Mike-

Old May 21st 05, 02:01 PM
John B

That newsgroup is not available on my server. Could you post a jpg, which
seems to be ok here?

Old May 21st 05, 02:05 PM
John B

This is a beautiful stand, but I'm far too ignorant to figure out how to
make it. I don't even understand what a "radiused lamination" is, much less
how to work with it. Could you furnish a clue for the clueless?

Old May 21st 05, 04:54 PM
nospambob

www.delorie.com/wood has some of the pictures from the two woodworking
binary groups, a.b.p.woodworking and a.b.p.furniture

Old May 21st 05, 08:47 PM
WhiteBuffalo32

John
The radiused lamination ( back of stand ) was originally made to be
used for some baseboard we were making for curved walls but the person
who supplied the template had the wrong radius so the pieces were
scrapped and new ones had to be made -my company wanted to throw the
screwed up pcs into the dumpster but I got the owner to let me have
them

The lamination form was made appox on a 32" radius(its been appox 1
year since we did that one so I'm not sure).
the finish glued up piece is up made from 12 pcs of 1/8" x 8" poplar. (
the glueup finish thickness after sanding is appox 1-1/2") -
I could take some pics of other forms(culls) we've recently made if you
want to see how we do it

The final shape design was arrived with after drawing multiple versions
on the piece until I found one I liked.
I then bandsawed the shape , The bandsawing was a pain since the piece
couldn't sit flat but doing it slowly ( and cautiously) it turned out
nice
The diamond cutout was made by band sawing up from the bottom and
reglueing the saw kerf back together.

The edges were routed with a 1/4" radius bit in a laminate trimmer (
where ever I could use it ) and any other edges that couldn't be routed
were sanded to match the routers cut.

I used alcohol based red dye for the coloring
The "feet" are made from some slightly curly maple scraps I had layinf
around
All 3 parts of the stand were covered with a poly finish (prior to
assembly)
and the 3 points where the guitar rests were then covered with red
felt.

Basicly I didn't have any plans when I started , just an idea , a
sketch pad and the guitar
I'll try to figure out how to post a few pics at a.b.p.woodworking
after I get some shots of the lamination forms we make
or you can drop me a email and I could send some of them to you

Guitar making Glen Woodworking 13 April 16th 05 05:33 PM
Bass Guitar Amp troubleshooting help needed [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 April 7th 05 12:05 AM
Guitar Construction book Tim Douglass Woodworking 13 December 16th 04 04:25 PM
Routing a battery box hole into a guitar Ed B. Woodworking 18 March 10th 04 10:34 PM
Guitar finished Sbtypesetter Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 06:22 PM