DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   guitar stand plans (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/106810-guitar-stand-plans.html)

John B May 20th 05 06:17 PM

guitar stand plans

I have searched in vain for an attractive and functional guitar stand
design. Seems the best functional design is the metal stand I already have.
More attractive wooden stands all seem defective functionally in one way or
another, either from the standpoint of stability or the way it cradles the
instrument. Anyone here have a recommendation?

Gordon W May 21st 05 12:49 AM

John B wrote in message
I have searched in vain for an attractive and functional guitar stand
design. Seems the best functional design is the metal stand I already

have.
More attractive wooden stands all seem defective functionally in one way

or
another, either from the standpoint of stability or the way it cradles the
instrument. Anyone here have a recommendation?

I made one for my son some years ago from plans by James Reyne the former
lead singer of Australian Crawl.
I'll post a pic to a.b.p.w and if you like it I can post the 'how to' from
Better Homes and Gardens May 1999 if you can't find a copy.

Gordon

C & M May 21st 05 01:40 AM

What the heck is a.b.p.w. (sorry for being lame) and a "how to" would be
great. Anything I ever came up with (in my head anyway) involved lamination
and bending.
Later,
Chiz

brian c May 21st 05 11:02 AM

Alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
It is a news group that allows pictures
good luck finding it
Brian

WhiteBuffalo32 May 21st 05 11:54 AM

Here's a link to some pics of one I made my son.
I had a radiused lamination (or 3 ) laying around and thought it would
work nicely for a stand.

I found that there aren't many plans out there for stands ,
so just wing it and use your imagination.

http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.co...rstandpics.jpg
http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.com/guitarstand.jpg

Mike Marlow May 21st 05 12:58 PM

"WhiteBuffalo32" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's a link to some pics of one I made my son.
I had a radiused lamination (or 3 ) laying around and thought it would
work nicely for a stand.

I found that there aren't many plans out there for stands ,
so just wing it and use your imagination.

http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.co...rstandpics.jpg
http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.com/guitarstand.jpg

Now that's a nice guitar stand.

--

-Mike-

John B May 21st 05 03:05 PM

This is a beautiful stand, but I'm far too ignorant to figure out how to
make it. I don't even understand what a "radiused lamination" is, much less
how to work with it. Could you furnish a clue for the clueless?

nospambob May 21st 05 05:54 PM

www.delorie.com/wood has some of the pictures from the two woodworking
binary groups, a.b.p.woodworking and a.b.p.furniture

WhiteBuffalo32 May 21st 05 09:47 PM

John
The radiused lamination ( back of stand ) was originally made to be
used for some baseboard we were making for curved walls but the person
who supplied the template had the wrong radius so the pieces were
scrapped and new ones had to be made -my company wanted to throw the
screwed up pcs into the dumpster but I got the owner to let me have
them

The lamination form was made appox on a 32" radius(its been appox 1
year since we did that one so I'm not sure).
the finish glued up piece is up made from 12 pcs of 1/8" x 8" poplar. (
the glueup finish thickness after sanding is appox 1-1/2") -
I could take some pics of other forms(culls) we've recently made if you
want to see how we do it

The final shape design was arrived with after drawing multiple versions
on the piece until I found one I liked.
I then bandsawed the shape , The bandsawing was a pain since the piece
couldn't sit flat but doing it slowly ( and cautiously) it turned out
nice
The diamond cutout was made by band sawing up from the bottom and
reglueing the saw kerf back together.

The edges were routed with a 1/4" radius bit in a laminate trimmer (
where ever I could use it ) and any other edges that couldn't be routed
were sanded to match the routers cut.

I used alcohol based red dye for the coloring
The "feet" are made from some slightly curly maple scraps I had layinf
around
All 3 parts of the stand were covered with a poly finish (prior to
assembly)
and the 3 points where the guitar rests were then covered with red
felt.

Basicly I didn't have any plans when I started , just an idea , a
sketch pad and the guitar
I'll try to figure out how to post a few pics at a.b.p.woodworking
after I get some shots of the lamination forms we make
or you can drop me a email and I could send some of them to you

Tim Douglass May 22nd 05 02:24 AM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:17:52 -0500, "John B"
wrote:

I have searched in vain for an attractive and functional guitar stand
design. Seems the best functional design is the metal stand I already have.
More attractive wooden stands all seem defective functionally in one way or
another, either from the standpoint of stability or the way it cradles the
instrument. Anyone here have a recommendation?

Check these out for some ideas:

http://woodcentral.com/contests/guit...dresults.shtml

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Mike Marlow May 22nd 05 05:32 AM

"Gordon W" wrote in message
I posted the pic to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking but I can't see it.
While it shouldn't be posted here I don't know what else to do so please

be
gentle with me.

Web site Gordon, web site. At least yours was a small file, but text is
text and binary aint. I saw it over on the binaries group - must be your
isp if you didn't see it.

--

-Mike-

Gordon W May 22nd 05 06:34 AM

Mike Marlow wrote in message

"Gordon W" wrote in message
I posted the pic to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking but I can't see

it.
While it shouldn't be posted here I don't know what else to do so please

be
gentle with me.

Web site Gordon, web site. At least yours was a small file, but text is
text and binary aint. I saw it over on the binaries group - must be your
isp if you didn't see it.

--

-Mike-

I wish I had a good isp and a web site but
Anyway you were gentle with me, thank you.

Gordon