Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Pattern board

I saw a cutting board with interesting pattern on a SawMill Creek thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/2/

This inspired me for a simple project. This is a gift for a colleague who
just left my team.

I had some drops of black walnut and hickory from an earlier project.

I had purchasd some lacewood and bloodwood due to the unique grain of the
former and striking colour of the latter. I did not have any project in
mind at the time, but I thought they would add good contrast to a future
project.

The SawMill Creek tutorial starts with 1/32in strips and increments by
1/32in. This is a lot of wasted wood, even with a 3/32in thin kerf blade.

I used 1/8in for the starting strip and incremented by 1/8in. I did not
like the 1/8in strip being at the outside and so decided this would be a
good use of the lacewood.

Bloodwood for the cutting board ends.

Cutting board oil for the finish. This may not be used for cutting, but
just in case.

Dave Paine.

Attached Thumbnails
Pattern board-pattern_board_2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Oops, seems the file size in the email is much larger than the original.

Resized.

Dave Paine.

"Tyke" wrote in message
[...]

Pattern board-pattern_board_2a-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tyke" wrote in message

This inspired me for a simple project. This is a gift for a
colleague who just left my team.

That's #*!&ing gorgeous. Big improvement on the original too.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tyke wrote:

I saw a cutting board with interesting pattern on a SawMill Creek thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/2/

This inspired me for a simple project. This is a gift for a colleague who
just left my team.

I had some drops of black walnut and hickory from an earlier project.

I had purchasd some lacewood and bloodwood due to the unique grain of the
former and striking colour of the latter. I did not have any project in
mind at the time, but I thought they would add good contrast to a future
project.

.... snip
Bloodwood for the cutting board ends.

.... snip

Very nice -- that lacewood really adds some nice contrast

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:09:41 GMT, ROY! wrote:

Might want to think twice about lacewood in a 'user' cutting board.
Cheese board probably OK but not cutting board.

Why's that?

I've never worked with lancewood, but as cool as it looks, I'd
appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:35:52 GMT, ROY! wrote:

The 'eyes' in lacewood are soft and would be too absorbent.

Thanks.