Junior Member

Default Advice on replacing a window

I currently have a massive single paned window approx 3.5 m by 1 m in a brick built extension to my house. It is actually three windows, two small ones at each side of approx 0.5 m wide and a massive one in the middle.

As it makes the room quite cold and is a bit of a security risk, we want to update it to either a double glazed window or maybe even patio doors which would lead out to my garden.

Is there anyone out there that could answer me the following questions :

1) Do we need planning permissions or building warrants for any new windows or patio doors (the latter would require us to have 2 - 3 steps built outside as well)?

2) If we went for a window, I presume as the space is so big it would have to be along the lines of the current layout ie 2 small windows and one big one in the middle? Is this possible with double glazing? Most d-g windows I have seen are just one individual window.

3) How much would I expect to pay to have it replaced with d-g windows in this way?

4) Would getting patio doors be a much more expensive option (as there would be more building work to form the hole required fopr them and then fill in at the sides etc)?

Thanks for any advice - I know I should be getting a d-g salesman out to quote etc but I'm a bit wary of doing this before I have at least a wee bit of an idea what I want.

Thnaks again.
Owain

"Grahammazy" wrote
| ... update it to either a double glazed window or maybe even
| patio doors which would lead out to my garden....
| 1) Do we need planning permissions or building warrants for any new
| windows or patio doors (the latter would require us to have 2 - 3 steps
| built outside as well)?

You probably do not need planning permission, unless you are in a
conservation area etc. or the window is on a boundary. It might be wise to
get written confirmation from the council that PP is not required, in case
of query later.

For replacement windows, you either have to have the work done by a FENSA
certified contractor, or DIY or use an unregistered contractor, and get a
building warrant.

For changing to a door, you will require building warrant.

| 2) If we went for a window, I presume as the space is so big it would
| have to be along the lines of the current layout ie 2 small windows and
| one big one in the middle? Is this possible with double glazing? Most
| d-g windows I have seen are just one individual window.

Depends on the structural arrangement. It might be possible to move the
'mullions' and have three more-equal sized windows. Big windows will be
disproportionately more expensive because they are awkward to make and
install.

| 4) Would getting patio doors be a much more expensive option (as there
| would be more building work to form the hole required fopr them and
| then fill in at the sides etc)?

The more work is done, the more the cost, but patio doors might increase the
value of your property if they improve access to the garden.

Owain

Junior Member

Thanks for all the information mate - will probably go with replacement windows as we are working to a tight budget and already have a back door which gives good access out the back.

Just one further clarification :

'For replacement windows, you either have to have the work done by a FENSA
certified contractor, or DIY or use an unregistered contractor, and get a
building warrant'

Does this mean all window replacements need a building warrant or only those done DIY or by an unregistered contractor ie if we seek out and use a FENSA certified contractor does that do away with the requirement of a building warrant?

As we already have a window of the same size / in same position I can't see why planning permission would be an issue at all but will check for my own peace of mind.
Set Square

Grahammazy wrote:

Thanks for all the information mate - will probably go with
replacement windows as we are working to a tight budget and already
have a back door which gives good access out the back.

Just one further clarification :

'For replacement windows, you either have to have the work done by a
FENSA
certified contractor, or DIY or use an unregistered contractor, and
get a
building warrant'

Does this mean all window replacements need a building warrant or only
those done DIY or by an unregistered contractor ie if we seek out and
use a FENSA certified contractor does that do away with the
requirement of a building warrant?

As we already have a window of the same size / in same position I
can't see why planning permission would be an issue at all but will
check for my own peace of mind.

AIUI, whatever happens you need to end up with a bit of paper certifying
that your new window meets the latest building regs. A FENSA certified
contractor can issue this bit of paper. Otherwise, you have to pay a fee and
get it inspected by a BCO from the local council.

You shouldn't need planning permission unless the appearance of the new
window is substantially different from the old one or unless it is a Listed
Building.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Zip 1

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:54:12 -0000, "Set Square"
wrote:

AIUI, whatever happens you need to end up with a bit of paper certifying
that your new window meets the latest building regs. A FENSA certified
contractor can issue this bit of paper. Otherwise, you have to pay a fee and
get it inspected by a BCO from the local council.

Nah, the Fensa approved installer ( I dont think any cetification is
involved) is *supposed* to send off details of the instalation to
Fensa and they issue the certificate. This certificate which can take
several months to arrive, has no indication of which windows were
replaced just the date it was done. These instalations are subject to
random inspections by Fensa so if your installer is especialy ashamed
of his shoddy workmanship on your windows he may never even submit
details to Fensa so you will be in a "its lost in the post" situation.

When you sell the buyers solicitor just asks for proof of Fensa
compliance not the certificate so a photocopy of an invoice with a
Fensa number on it would do or just say the windows were installed
before the Fensa regs came in.

I'd ignore the stupid regulations and just get someone to do it. You
are only up-rating an existing window not installing new - even if
up-rating involves replacing all of it.
Any future buyers are unlikely to be bothered in the slightest as long
as it is a reasonable working window and not a conspicuous bodge.
Talk to several joiners and see what they say - avoid DG salesmen who
are all cowboys.
As for the design the possibilities are endless - you can have what you
like as long as it is practical.

cheers

Jacob

Junior Member

Thanks everybody for your help here - will get a couple of quotes and take it from there.

Thanks again.