Set Square

Grahammazy wrote:

Thanks for all the information mate - will probably go with
replacement windows as we are working to a tight budget and already
have a back door which gives good access out the back.

Just one further clarification :

'For replacement windows, you either have to have the work done by a
FENSA
certified contractor, or DIY or use an unregistered contractor, and
get a
building warrant'

Does this mean all window replacements need a building warrant or only
those done DIY or by an unregistered contractor ie if we seek out and
use a FENSA certified contractor does that do away with the
requirement of a building warrant?

As we already have a window of the same size / in same position I
can't see why planning permission would be an issue at all but will
check for my own peace of mind.

AIUI, whatever happens you need to end up with a bit of paper certifying
that your new window meets the latest building regs. A FENSA certified
contractor can issue this bit of paper. Otherwise, you have to pay a fee and
get it inspected by a BCO from the local council.

You shouldn't need planning permission unless the appearance of the new
window is substantially different from the old one or unless it is a Listed
Building.
--
Cheers,
Set Square