tomw

Default high level cistern

Hi,

I need to move our old high level cistern, which is currently mounted on the
wall to one side of the toilet, to the wall on the other side. The existing
flush pipe is lead. I assume that re-using the existing lead pipe is not an
option. Does anybody know of anywhere where I can find copper or steel
tubing and fittings to replace the flush pipe? I have seen complete
flush-pipe kits in plastic, and Thomas Crapper's do brass pipes, but these
require the cistern to be mounted behind the toilet, rather than to the
side. I can even find copper piping in large diameters from
metalsupermarkets.com, but don't know where to find fittings for these
diameters (2" and 2 1/2"). If I could hire a pipe bender that would cope
with these diameters, I suppose I could do the whole thing in one piece...
any thoughts?

Cheers

Tom

Dave Jones

"tomw" wrote in message
[...]

Could you not put a low level cistern in?

Jim Easterbrook

In article , tomw wrote:

I need to move our old high level cistern, which is currently mounted on the
wall to one side of the toilet, to the wall on the other side. The existing
flush pipe is lead. I assume that re-using the existing lead pipe is not an
option. Does anybody know of anywhere where I can find copper or steel
tubing and fittings to replace the flush pipe? I have seen complete
flush-pipe kits in plastic, and Thomas Crapper's do brass pipes, but these
require the cistern to be mounted behind the toilet, rather than to the
side.

You can get "three part" plastic flush pipes that allow side mounting. I
got one and spray painted it with Halfords own brand "chrome", which has
a nice metallic "new lead" look.
--
Jim Easterbrook http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/
Peter Andrews

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"tomw" wrote in message
[...]

As it's hardly drinking water :-) why not keep the lead?

Tom W

thanks for all the replies. I only want to keep the high level cistern for
aesthetic purposes, and I'm not sure that the painted plastic will do the
job. Having thought about it a bit more, re-using the lead pipe isn't an
option even if I knew how to work with it, as the cistern can't be lowered
any further than its current position so there's no margin for waste/error.

"Jim Easterbrook" wrote in message
In article , tomw wrote:

[...]

Toby Sleigh

"tomw" wrote in message
[...]

Is the wall a stud partition wall? If so could you run down in plastic
inside the wall?
Toby

Laser levels Dan Hartung Home Repair 17 December 23rd 04 04:16 AM
Toilet cistern syphon/overflow mackem UK diy 6 October 14th 04 03:33 PM
Calibrating a Starrett 98-4 Level Steve Metalworking 2 August 19th 04 07:00 PM
laser level for line on curved surface? Catherine Jo Morgan Metalworking 27 April 18th 04 02:03 AM