Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using LED dimmable bulb with touch dimmer lamp.

Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

Probably just arse covering. Could also have been manufactured before
dimmable LEDs became more widely available.

That said, as I understand it, dimmers and LEDs are not happy bedfellows
from an electronic point of view and maybe some dimmers are not suitable
for dimming any LED without the risk of overheating the bulb circuitry.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

Probably just arse covering. Could also have been manufactured before
dimmable LEDs became more widely available.

That said, as I understand it, dimmers and LEDs are not happy bedfellows
from an electronic point of view and maybe some dimmers are not suitable
for dimming any LED without the risk of overheating the bulb circuitry.

Tim

You might find this interesting (if not relevant to dimmable LEDs).
https://youtu.be/fWh2obSY0dQ

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2017 23:06, Michael Chare wrote:
Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

I got the same product from B & Q and mine works fine with a dimmable LED

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

Probably just arse covering. Could also have been manufactured before
dimmable LEDs became more widely available.

Or maybe the latest types?

That said, as I understand it, dimmers and LEDs are not happy bedfellows
from an electronic point of view and maybe some dimmers are not suitable
for dimming any LED without the risk of overheating the bulb circuitry.

I fitted some dimmable GU10s to three fittings towards the end of last
year, and the existing dimmer seems very happy with them. They've had a
lot of use in fully dimmed mode, so I'd expect any problems to have shown
up by now.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Covering their arses I'd imagine. Seriously though the load presented by
other sorts of lamps could be inductive or too low to be seen as a load by
the electronics, or the bulb simply might not like the waveform the dimmer
uses. Its very much a suck it an see thing. Dimmers on leds I've heard of
hunting, like the brightness seems to wobble randomly, or they need full on
for cfls but then dim until a point t where they go out again then need full
to come on again etc. Equally some work fine.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2017 23:24, Tim+ wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

Probably just arse covering. Could also have been manufactured before
dimmable LEDs became more widely available.

That said, as I understand it, dimmers and LEDs are not happy bedfellows
from an electronic point of view and maybe some dimmers are not suitable
for dimming any LED without the risk of overheating the bulb circuitry.

Tim

You might find this interesting (if not relevant to dimmable LEDs).
https://youtu.be/fWh2obSY0dQ

Interesting thank you. I think that I have been quite lucky as I bought
the LED bulb sometime before I bought the lamp. I really just wanted to
try a touch lamp. Its ability to dim is not of much interest to me,

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2017 23:06, Michael Chare wrote:
Why might the instructions for a new Asda touch sensitive dimmable table
lamp say that "Energy Saver bulbs are not suitable for use with touch
dimmers"?

Because the dimmer itself probably draws its (very small) operating
current through the lamp (since there is no neutral connection available
at the switch normally). So old CFLs don't like that and will flash
periodically.

So far, the lamp works fine with a Philips E14 dimmable LED bulb.

Dimmable LEDs seem to be better compatibility wise with touch dimmers.

--
Cheers,

John.

What happens if you use a non-dimmable LED on a dimmer? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 22nd 15 04:24 AM
Remote touch dimmer wanted Murmansk UK diy 0 August 7th 14 09:08 PM
touch / remote dimmer John UK diy 3 February 24th 09 03:19 PM
Touch light dimmer problem [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 17th 08 07:20 PM
Feedback between CFL bulb and Touch Sensitive Lamp? [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 29th 07 02:32 PM