a_mcbride

Default Boiler cutting out

My ideal elan 2 boiler ignites from cold with no problem. However after a period of time
anything from an hour to longer it refuses to fire up. After a period of time when it
obviously cools down it will then fire up again.

I initially thought there was a problem with the over heat stat, although this does not
need to be reset as it does not pop up. However I replaced it with some success I thought
as this morning the boiler fired constantly. However the same problem has started tonight
again. I can hear the air pressure switch clicking in and the fan is running but still no
ignition. Was wondering if it could be a pump problem, maybe the water can not get away
from the boiler quick enough and its overheating and then is cutting out until its cooled
down. However why doesn`t the overheat stat click in ?

Have phoned a round some heating engineers so far none want to know this side of Xmas.
Would a new pump solve the problem or is my conclusion wrong? Don`t fancy being without
consistent heat until after Xmas.

Any help appreciated

Andrew

An

Set Square

a_mcbride wrote:

[...]

Very unlikely to be the pump - if that fails, the overheat stat *will* trip
and the boiler will then do nothing at all.

Does your boiler have a row of (maybe 3) LEDs which come on in sequence
during the firing cycle? If so, how many of these are lit?

The boiler is clearly *trying* to fire - otherwise the fan wouldn't run.
Depending on how far it's getting through the firing cycle you could have a
problem with the pressure switch, pilot solenoid, ignition system or main
gas valve. It's also possible - perhaps even likely in view of the fact that
it seems to be temperature dependent - that you could have some iffy
electronic components on the control board.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

a_mcbride

Set Square wrote:
a_mcbride wrote:

[...]

Agree with you here if the pump failed completely but the pump is at a guess 13 years old
its pumping but I wonder if its not pumping as efficiently as it once was and the flow
rate through the boiler has been dreuced therefore raising the temperatire within the
boiler.

Does your boiler have a row of (maybe 3) LEDs which come on in
sequence during the firing cycle? If so, how many of these are lit?

Only one light comes on when a demand for heat is required and this does light up.

The boiler is clearly *trying* to fire - otherwise the fan wouldn't
run. Depending on how far it's getting through the firing cycle you
could have a problem with the pressure switch, pilot solenoid,
ignition system or main gas valve. It's also possible - perhaps even
likely in view of the fact that it seems to be temperature dependent
- that you could have some iffy electronic components on the control
board.

Have put in a new pressure switch and I can hear that switching. The PCB is new as well so
doubt that is at fault.

Still baffled.

Andrew

Alex

I had a similar problem and it was down to the fan ,it did this for a while
then eventually failed completely,I sourced a second hand one from
http://www.cetltd.com really helpfull and saved a load of money to,had it
over a year now and no problems.The owner often contributes on here but have
not noticed him lately.

Alex

geoff

In message , Set Square
writes
a_mcbride wrote:

[...]

No it's a stelrad 7b pcb

no disco lights

The boiler is clearly *trying* to fire - otherwise the fan wouldn't run.
Depending on how far it's getting through the firing cycle you could have a
problem with the pressure switch, pilot solenoid, ignition system or main
gas valve. It's also possible - perhaps even likely in view of the fact that
it seems to be temperature dependent - that you could have some iffy
electronic components on the control board.

Although it looks like a pcb fault to me, I can't see what would be
susceptible to such temperature problems

--
geoff

geoff

In message , a_mcbride
writes

The boiler is clearly *trying* to fire - otherwise the fan wouldn't
run. Depending on how far it's getting through the firing cycle you
could have a problem with the pressure switch, pilot solenoid,
ignition system or main gas valve. It's also possible - perhaps even
likely in view of the fact that it seems to be temperature dependent
- that you could have some iffy electronic components on the control
board.

Have put in a new pressure switch and I can hear that switching. The
PCB is new as well so
doubt that is at fault.

Has the pilot solenoid failed?

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Alex
writes
I had a similar problem and it was down to the fan ,it did this for a while
then eventually failed completely,I sourced a second hand one from
http://www.cetltd.com really helpfull and saved a load of money to,had it
over a year now and no problems.The owner often contributes on here but have
not noticed him lately.

I'm always here

--
geoff

Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 12th 03 11:10 PM
New boiler operation/settings John UK diy 3 October 27th 03 10:57 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM