Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV signal distribution

hi guys

having been given a lovely small TV as an anniversary present, for our
bedroom, we are now in need of 2 TV arial points in the house. And
given that sprog has his own TV (currently in use as a monitor) it
will probably need to be 3. What's the groups suggestions for

1) splitting the existing signal ? (Masthead booster ?)
2) runnning wires around for the TV sockets ? (Bearing in mind the
prediliction women have for rearranging room layouts while you're at
work). Is there a recommended wireless hub that works for TV signals ?
Or is it better to bit the bullet and run cable ...

cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 9:27*am, Jethro wrote:
hi guys

having been given a lovely small TV as an anniversary present, for our
bedroom, we are now in need of 2 TV arial points in the house. And
given that sprog has his own TV (currently in use as a monitor) it
will probably need to be 3. What's the groups suggestions for

1) splitting the existing signal ? (Masthead booster ?)
2) runnning wires around for the TV sockets ? (Bearing in mind the
prediliction women have for rearranging room layouts while you're at
work). Is there a recommended wireless hub that works for TV signals ?
Or is it better to bit the bullet and run cable ...

cheers

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Category:TV

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Apr, 09:27, Jethro wrote:
hi guys

having been given a lovely small TV as an anniversary present, for our
bedroom, we are now in need of 2 TV arial points in the house. And
given that sprog has his own TV (currently in use as a monitor) it
will probably need to be 3. What's the groups suggestions for

1) splitting the existing signal ? (Masthead booster ?)
2) runnning wires around for the TV sockets ? (Bearing in mind the
prediliction women have for rearranging room layouts while you're at
work). Is there a recommended wireless hub that works for TV signals ?
Or is it better to bit the bullet and run cable ...

cheers

If it's satellite tv, then a quad (or even octo) LNB on the dish, and
separate cable runs to each tv point may be the answer.

If it's terrestrial tv (and/or other sources), then consider a
distribution amp like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXHDU681.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jethro wrote:
hi guys

having been given a lovely small TV as an anniversary present, for our
bedroom, we are now in need of 2 TV arial points in the house. And
given that sprog has his own TV (currently in use as a monitor) it
will probably need to be 3. What's the groups suggestions for

1) splitting the existing signal ? (Masthead booster ?)
2) runnning wires around for the TV sockets ? (Bearing in mind the
prediliction women have for rearranging room layouts while you're at
work). Is there a recommended wireless hub that works for TV signals ?
Or is it better to bit the bullet and run cable ...

Normal way is to fit a UHF distribution amplifier. Aerial in and spurs to
the outlets. A 'masthead booster' is a different beast, and has to be
fitted at the aerial. The DA can go anywhere with access to the aerial
feeder. Mine is in the cellar, but the loft is often easier. They come in
various guises with commonly 2,4, 6 or 8 outputs.

You'll get them near anywhere - sheds etc - but here's a selection:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

--
*The soldier who survived pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
hi guys

having been given a lovely small TV as an anniversary present, for our
bedroom, we are now in need of 2 TV arial points in the house. And
given that sprog has his own TV (currently in use as a monitor) it
will probably need to be 3. What's the groups suggestions for

1) splitting the existing signal ? (Masthead booster ?)

yes, if you can organise wires. But you don't need a masthead booster.
You need a distribution amp.

A different beast. Less gain, more outputs.

2) runnning wires around for the TV sockets ?

That goes with the above.

(Bearing in mind the
prediliction women have for rearranging room layouts while you're at
work). Is there a recommended wireless hub that works for TV signals ?
Or is it better to bit the bullet and run cable ...

Bite the bullet and when SHE moves the TV, start chasing out those wqlls
again.

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
hi guys

having been given a lovely small TV as an anniversary present, for our
bedroom, we are now in need of 2 TV arial points in the house. And
given that sprog has his own TV (currently in use as a monitor) it
will probably need to be 3. What's the groups suggestions for

1) splitting the existing signal ? (Masthead booster ?)
2) runnning wires around for the TV sockets ? (Bearing in mind the
prediliction women have for rearranging room layouts while you're at
work). Is there a recommended wireless hub that works for TV signals ?
Or is it better to bit the bullet and run cable ...

cheers

Much easier to run cable from the loft and down the outside walls and drill
through to your TV access points than to faff about with cable indoors. A
roll of cable sufficient to supply every room is surprisingly cheap and you
can just run it out under the eaves - hide it behind drain pipes etc - from
a central distribution point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
On 26 Apr, 20:23, "spamlet" wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message

[...]

I did this after our tv aerial blew down some years back, and me not being
keen on heights, allowed the 'pros' to talk us into a new aerial with
booster. This cost some £300 (no it wasn't my idea!) and boy was 'the
missus' ripped off! It turned out that the 'boosted' signal was not as good
as the signal we'd had from the original plain aerial, so I had to go up in
the loft and investigate. Where I found the wires - yup the old ones! -
stretched so tight that the distribution unit was practically suspended in
mid air! When I found how the screened lead (and bags of connectors of all
kinds) from Screwfix was a darn sight cheaper than chips, I rerouted all the
leads around the edges of the loft and had enough to change all the old
leads on all the equipment in the house, and put sockets - including for
radio - in each room of the house.

The lead for satellite/cable does not look that different, apart from the
connectors, but I haven't tried similar with that yet as we opted for
wireless for the internet connections.

The tuning of all the different pieces of equipment for optimum picture
quality is not always straight forward, and sometimes analogue aerial
signals can interfere with some devices like DVDRs that have their own
tuners (AVforum has lots on disconnecting various pins in scart connectors
that sometimes helps, but we've found we record from the analogue not
enough these days for it to be worth faffing with). Otherwise, I have
noticed that the analogue signal from even channels like BBC1 has started to
get wavy lines on, though it was perfect when we set things up. I am
tending to suspect that this is deliberate to 'encourage' the switch to
digital - just as I am also highly suspicious that compression on non HD tv
has been increased to make HD look better - a lot of old series that used to
record nice and sharp now look decidedly blurry in the repeats!

Enjoy designing your new layout: you might even get carried away and put in
lots of extra mains sockets instead of all those extension leads...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message

"Jethro" wrote in message
On 26 Apr, 20:23, "spamlet" wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message

[...]

Oops: One more importantish thing:

When I said 'drill through' for your access points: I did of course mean
starting from the *inside* so that the holes are neat and in the right
place. (And of course keeping an eye on the possible routes of any electric
chasing that may just happen to run under your preferred spot). You might
even slope them down a little to discourage water ingress without sealer.

If you are really going for a boost, you may want a power point in the loft
too if you haven't found the need for one already.

(Incidentally, in talking about cable running, I got a very handy little set
of linkable fibreglass rods - like a mini version of a chimney sweep kit -
from Dunstable Discount a while back, for a mere £4.50: if you see similar
in your travels, it's well worth having.)

tv distribution Stephen[_6_] UK diy 7 October 28th 09 08:25 PM
Air Distribution Bob La Londe Metalworking 85 March 16th 09 06:07 PM
single ended signal to differential signal? Rüdiger Leibrandt Electronics Repair 15 April 19th 07 04:14 PM
signal generator to frequency counter signal tap Bob in Phx Electronics 0 December 5th 05 04:30 AM
B&K E-200D signal generator - no signal Mike Electronics Repair 11 March 24th 05 09:24 PM