Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 Dichroic Reflector confusion

I notice that on the Screwfix website some of the mains voltage GU10
halogen lamps are described as having a "dichroic reflector". Does
anyone know what "dichroic reflector" means in this context? I had
assumed the term dichroic just applies to lamps with the GZ10 style cap
which direct any heat towards the back of the lamp, as opposed to lamps
with the GU10 style caps which direct any heat towards the front of the
lamp. Now seeing GU10 halogen lamps described as having a dichroic
reflector has confused me somewhat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JA" wrote in message
I notice that on the Screwfix website some of the mains voltage GU10
halogen lamps are described as having a "dichroic reflector". Does anyone
know what "dichroic reflector" means in this context? I had assumed the
term dichroic just applies to lamps with the GZ10 style cap which direct
any heat towards the back of the lamp, as opposed to lamps with the GU10
style caps which direct any heat towards the front of the lamp. Now seeing
GU10 halogen lamps described as having a dichroic reflector has confused me
somewhat.

Dichroic lamps allow some of heat to pass backwards .. often used in lamps
which would put too much heat on object or person it was illuminating (eg
PAR 38 spots)

I had opposite requirement I wanted non-dichroic lamps for my Low-Voltage
down lights as I do no want the heat pushed back into housing .... they over
heat & trip transformer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Apr, 10:37, JA wrote:
I notice that on the Screwfix website some of the mains voltage GU10
halogen lamps are described as having a "dichroic reflector". Does
anyone know what "dichroic reflector" means in this context? I had
assumed the term dichroic just applies to lamps with the GZ10 style cap
which direct any heat towards the back of the lamp, as opposed to lamps
with the GU10 style caps which direct any heat towards the front of the
lamp. Now seeing GU10 halogen lamps described as having a dichroic
reflector has confused me somewhat.

It must be a misprint , GZ lamps with the chamfered corners are
dichroic, GU lamps are aluminsed, fittings are designed one way or
other , best not to mix.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Apr, 10:39, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
"JA" wrote in message

[...]

Aluminised LV MR16 are very rare, no idea why, mebbe remote the
transformer?

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
On 6 Apr, 10:39, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
"JA" wrote in message

[...]

No problem getting them - I simply order mine from 'Lightbulbs-direct.com'

My issue is that house is very well insulated, so no heat escapes upwards
..... and even with t/f 200mm away they still overheated if on for an hour
or more.

Changed to Phillips Aluminum reflectors (Phillips Pro Alu) and no problem
since .. heat goes out through front of lamp rather than through rear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"JA" wrote in message

[...]

Remote wound trafos, but copper cost can get excessive.

Changed to Phillips Aluminum reflectors (Phillips Pro Alu) and no problem
since .. heat goes out through front of lamp rather than through rear.

Hadn`t encountered them before thanks:

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/news/422/s...uminaires.html

Cheers
Adam