Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_3_] Rick Hughes[_3_] is offline

Default GU10 Dichroic Reflector confusion

"JA" wrote in message
I notice that on the Screwfix website some of the mains voltage GU10
halogen lamps are described as having a "dichroic reflector". Does anyone
know what "dichroic reflector" means in this context? I had assumed the
term dichroic just applies to lamps with the GZ10 style cap which direct
any heat towards the back of the lamp, as opposed to lamps with the GU10
style caps which direct any heat towards the front of the lamp. Now seeing
GU10 halogen lamps described as having a dichroic reflector has confused me
somewhat.

Dichroic lamps allow some of heat to pass backwards .. often used in lamps
which would put too much heat on object or person it was illuminating (eg
PAR 38 spots)

I had opposite requirement I wanted non-dichroic lamps for my Low-Voltage
down lights as I do no want the heat pushed back into housing .... they over
heat & trip transformer.