Split Ring Compression Fitting Spanner. Ping Mr Medway

Old January 16th 10, 06:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Split Ring Compression Fitting Spanner. Ping Mr Medway

A week or so ago I ordered a Split Ring Compression Fitting spanner like
this from Toolstation: http://tinyurl.com/y9wa57q

MWH asked for a report when I got it.

Bottom line is that it has much thicker ring walls than I expected and
therefore not as useful as anticipated.

Having said that nice bit of kit and no regrets. Having a "proper" plumbing
spanner certainly is less hassle than continuously adjusting an adjustable.

Old January 17th 10, 10:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex5 wrote:
A week or so ago I ordered a Split Ring Compression Fitting spanner
like this from Toolstation: http://tinyurl.com/y9wa57q

MWH asked for a report when I got it.

Thanks for remembering. I had to make up an order for some fixings to get
over the 10 so I took a chance & stuck one on the order.

Bottom line is that it has much thicker ring walls than I expected and
therefore not as useful as anticipated.

What surprised me was the length of it. I expected it to be shorter.

Having said that nice bit of kit and no regrets. Having a "proper"
plumbing spanner certainly is less hassle than continuously adjusting
an adjustable.

Haven't used mine in anger yet, but I can see it will be very useful indeed
and because of the length great for that final 'graunch'.

Do you have one of these BTW - a godsend when plumbing
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old January 17th 10, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Vortex5 wrote:
[...]

The most annoying thing is you cannot use the spanner on 22mm fittings on
"standard" pipe clips against a wall. The ring is just too thick. It's
nice and shiny though!

Now that Stanley tool looks handy!

Old January 18th 10, 06:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex5 wrote:
[...]

Check out Ebay item 270515434339
Had one of these for 15 years, it is worth it's weight in Platinum !.
I use it now on hydraulic fittings on valve blocks on lorry loaders, gets
between all sorts of small spaces and by buggery you can get some torque on
it !
On another note a colleague bought one of these Ebay 260539117807, so I got
one too.
Amazing torque albeit quite slow rev's, but the swivel head and bit holder
gets it into some really tight corners,

Old January 18th 10, 06:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex5 wrote:
[...]

Looks to be a cut above the normal basin wrench. I've found this to be the
(considerably more expensive) answer to those really 'tight for space'
corner basins and for general use.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...chbu tton.y=9

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old January 18th 10, 06:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex5 wrote:
[...]

Good design idea but only fits the sizes mentioned, the one I have seems to
do up to 1" AF nuts and supplied with 2 crows foot pieces for differing
sizes.

Old January 18th 10, 10:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Do you have one of these BTW - a godsend when plumbing
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

Had one for years. Good enough to be in my most basic toolkit. Not
perfect, but a genuinely useful improvement.