Posted to alt.home.repair

Default compression ring, which way?

I have a toilet shut-off valve that I want to install. It has a
compression fitting on the valve outlet that goes to the toilet bowl.
I notice that the compression ring (sleeve) shape is not exactly
symmetrical, so I'm thinking that the compression sleeve has to be
installed in a specific orientation.

Which end goes toward the compression nut? The HD guy said it doesn't
matter. I'm skeptical of that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 20, 12:38*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
I have a toilet shut-off valve that I want to install. It has a
compression fitting on the valve outlet that goes to the toilet bowl.
I notice that the compression ring (sleeve) shape is not exactly
symmetrical, so I'm thinking that the compression sleeve has to be
installed in a specific orientation.

Which end goes toward the compression nut? The HD guy said it doesn't
matter. I'm skeptical of that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

The compression nut should bear on the short taper to provide maximum
force on the long taper to seal against both the tubing and the outlet
hole. From a practical standpoint, perhaps many hundreds have been
installed in reverse and work just fine. Using it the way it was
designed gives you better odds for success IMO.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Caesar Romano wrote:
I have a toilet shut-off valve that I want to install. It has a
compression fitting on the valve outlet that goes to the toilet bowl.
I notice that the compression ring (sleeve) shape is not exactly
symmetrical, so I'm thinking that the compression sleeve has to be
installed in a specific orientation.

Which end goes toward the compression nut? The HD guy said it doesn't
matter. I'm skeptical of that.

The brass rings for copper tubes are symmetrical and can be installed either
way. I have seen the plastic rings for plastic supply tubes that have a
wedge cross section, in these you put the flat portion towards the nut so
that the thin edge jams in between the pipe and the valve fitting to seal
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 12:38*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
I have a toilet shut-off valve that I want to install. It has a
compression fitting on the valve outlet that goes to the toilet bowl.
I notice that the compression ring (sleeve) shape is not exactly
symmetrical, so I'm thinking that the compression sleeve has to be
installed in a specific orientation.

Which end goes toward the compression nut? The HD guy said it doesn't
matter. I'm skeptical of that.

Thanks to Joe and EXT for the comments.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.